He all... I'm new in the fly fishing section...

100% African

Senior Member
He all...

I'm new in the fly fishing section... I want to start making some leadheads and require some equipment to tie the hackel etc. I want to know if there are any good fly tying kits on the market. Or are they just a waste where you end up buying each tool individually eventually....?

I don't mind spending some money on the better stuff because i'm planning on eventually buying a fly fishing rod and getting into it, so its not going to go to waste.... I'm just waiting to progress to the fly...

So basically any info on fly tying kits and brands of tools etc is going to be helpful... Whats the best quality?

Thanks
 

schutte

New member
Hi 100%African,

Welcome to the world for fly tying,

Basically Fly tying for me is broken up into 3 categories, Vice, tools and consumables.

firstly the vice: For me the most important in tying flies because you dont want to get a vice that is awkward to work with or one where the hook starts to slip while tying a fly, they range in price and really can cost an arm and a leg but most vices will do, you also get vises that stand alone with a weighted foot or one that clamps on to the table.

tools: there are many tools that perform many functions but lets cover the basics, a good pair of scissors, they become vital as you are for ever cutting many different substrates and a cheap pair of scissors will go blunt quickly and lead to frustration. then there is the bobbin holder which essentially holds the thread that you use tie tie in all your material, and the finishing tool which helps you finish all your flies.


consumables: which is all your hooks,hackle,thread, and so forth and so forth.

if you are looking for a second hand set i have one for sale a whole set, vise scissors, everything and alot of material,
 
Top