has anybody had experience using Rapala X-Rap Xtre

ziggy

Member
has anybody had experience using Rapala X-Rap Xtreme action slashbait in  hte surf in the durban area?

see http://www.rapala.com/products/luresPopUp.cfm?modelName=x-rap_sureset&freshorsalt=Fresh

 They were being sold for R199 for three (the three top colours)

Where would one use them, how to retrieve and to target what species?
 

ziggy

Member
there have been 58 views and no respose - does this mean that no-one has used the lures -or do people not fish with rpalas off the surf?
 

WaterHond

Senior Member
I like using Rapalas, but living here in Gauteng I do not have enough experience and opportunity to fish often and hone this type of lure fishing… So I can't give any solid advice. But surely they must work. Very nice action and look…

I have only fished lures now for almost 2 years. That means 2 fishing trips to the coast… And sadly both were not great fishing trips, nor for those using bait either. I have found that casting Rapalas is not as bad as one would think. Not as far as Ondas or plugs but descent enough. I think the next time I am going fishing instead of just casting and retrieving, I would give longer pauses between winds… That is something I read only recently. To get a bit more distance on casts I add a small conical sinker, those with the hole down the centre which bass fisherman use. They are only 8grams each. So it does not make that big of a difference to the action when reeled in, much like an Onda. But when you want to have lots of side action/play or to stop the lure to leave it suspended in mid water, the sinker would obviously be a problem.

Hope I might have helped in any way. Enjoy!! Let me know how it goes. PLEASE :eek:)
 

Pershond

New member
Don't know about fishing them in the surf, but they are a killer for bass. I bought one of those packs and I'll buy another this weekend. R199 for 3 is VERY cheap, they go for R130 each usually...

They should work wonders in estuaries, might be a little light for the surf.

Also, the guy at the shop told me that they catch a lot of Natal snoek on the white one (middle one in the pack).
 

ignoblis

Senior Member
I have used them before with my dropshot rig. I caught shad on them but the trebles where damaging the fish so changed to a spoon and caught just as many fish. So can't say it was the lure that did the trick.

I have not used them since a they are very light and it is dificult to get the distance when casting specially if there is a bit of wind.

ignoblis
 

Go fish

New member
Hi Ziggy,

I agree with Pershond, at R199.00 for three they're a give away. I have used them trolling and spinning down here in the Southern Cape and they work very well, for the surf they might be a bit too light depending on the setup you intend throwing them with.

For trolling and medium to light spinning, they're great.

Cheers :fishn
 

WaterHond

Senior Member
Go fish wrote:
Hi Ziggy,

I agree with Pershond, at R199.00 for three they're a give away. I have used them trolling and spinning down here in the Southern Cape and they work very well, for the surf they might be a bit too light depending on the setup you intend throwing them with.

For trolling and medium to light spinning, they're great.

Cheers :fishn

Ziggy, when spinning, who do you fish them? Do you add weights at all?

 

@ Ignoblis, I have changed all my trebles to singles at the back and left the front spot clear of any hooks.
 

neilg

Sealiner
If you add the weighted trebles remember to only add one in the front.
If you do just back or front and back it seems to affect the action

For cob if you think you retrieving them slow then slow down some more, they need to move along very slowly and hit nose in the sand the whole time.
 

WaterHond

Senior Member
Thanks Neil!! Have figured out not to put weight on the back, that was obvious. But have been trying to get tips like these for a long time.
 

ziggy

Member
Neilg - I will try weighting the front treble -  - how does one do that? What is the best way to do it?

Should I change the trebles to singles?

I have only test casted the lures so far and I found that I could cast far enough to get into where the shad might be - but I imagine casting near the backline will be more difficult.

How will a weight a few certimeters above the lure work?
 

basstacle4see

New member
The x-rap is a killer lure in the esturies and lake systems....kob, pick handle baracuda, king fish and of course my personal favourite - Rock salmon
 

ziggy

Member
I looked for some weights for the trebles on the slashbait - couldnt find anything suitable...any ideas
 

basstacle4see

New member
Maybe thin gauge  soldering wire will work (0.8 mm, the type that electronic repair shops use) if you wrap it around the shank of the trebble....
 

ignoblis

Senior Member
I nearly forgot to add this earlier but last week end I managed to get a Karantine on a small X-Rap. A new species for me on Art Lure.

ignoblis
 

Richardoh

New member
You can buy weighted trebels at yhe Tackle Centre in Durban. otherwise you can use sheet lead cut to the length of the shank of the hook, that way you can ajust the weight by rolling more on or by taking some off till you get the desired action on the lure.
 
Top