Hi All
I just got back from a trip to eastern cape and transkei with a large group of oldschool hardcore fishermen.
The amount of riddicule I got for taking my dropshot and plastic baits was tremedous.
I heard it in the car the whole way to Kei mouth from Cape Town.
So when we went fishing most of the time I left my dropshot stuff behind feeling quite embarressed to bring it out.
The one trip we made was to the wreck of the Jacaranda in the transkei.When I arrived at this place I realised that it looked like a dropshoot mecca.
So I unpacked my rod and preceded to the rocks.
Then the comments came flying
"Wat gaan jy van met daai ding vang"
"ons kan nie klipvis braai nie"
"Die stok is kleiner as sy ****"
Arriving first at the spot because I had less to set up .I put a Large piece of gulp blood worm on a 1/2 ounce jig head with a 2.0 hook.
I threw it in the water (First Cast) before the lead touched the the bottom it was picked up by something big almost pulled the rod out my hands after about a 10 minute fight and the help of a gillie who climbed down the rocks and helped me land it I realised that I had just caught a +- 2,5 kg Kob.I gave it to the gillie for helping me and he disapeared fast so I couldnt get a photo.But There were witnesses
Next thing I had 11 14 ft rods arround me throwing every single bait known to mankind into the rock pools where i was fishing.None of them got so much as a nibble from a klipvis.
My next cast I put on a large piece of camo worm.I let it bounce around on the bottom for a few seconds and then again it got slammed.This time it was a 45cm bronze bream or Blue hottentot not sure (Maybe someboddy can help).
This continued for the whole day and a half that we were there.
At the end of it I had caught 2 Kob, 3 Breems all in the 2,5 kg range.
Plus loads of smaller fish (Zebras,Moonfish,blowfish)
The only thing that stop me from catching fish was the fact that I had run out of gulp worms.The blowfish destroy the worms but if they dont eat all a better fish will eventually pick it up.
And the best of all by the end of the day serious oldschool fishermen were asking me if I can lend them my dropshot equipment and bait.
I just got back from a trip to eastern cape and transkei with a large group of oldschool hardcore fishermen.
The amount of riddicule I got for taking my dropshot and plastic baits was tremedous.
I heard it in the car the whole way to Kei mouth from Cape Town.
So when we went fishing most of the time I left my dropshot stuff behind feeling quite embarressed to bring it out.
The one trip we made was to the wreck of the Jacaranda in the transkei.When I arrived at this place I realised that it looked like a dropshoot mecca.
So I unpacked my rod and preceded to the rocks.
Then the comments came flying
"Wat gaan jy van met daai ding vang"
"ons kan nie klipvis braai nie"
"Die stok is kleiner as sy ****"
Arriving first at the spot because I had less to set up .I put a Large piece of gulp blood worm on a 1/2 ounce jig head with a 2.0 hook.
I threw it in the water (First Cast) before the lead touched the the bottom it was picked up by something big almost pulled the rod out my hands after about a 10 minute fight and the help of a gillie who climbed down the rocks and helped me land it I realised that I had just caught a +- 2,5 kg Kob.I gave it to the gillie for helping me and he disapeared fast so I couldnt get a photo.But There were witnesses
Next thing I had 11 14 ft rods arround me throwing every single bait known to mankind into the rock pools where i was fishing.None of them got so much as a nibble from a klipvis.
My next cast I put on a large piece of camo worm.I let it bounce around on the bottom for a few seconds and then again it got slammed.This time it was a 45cm bronze bream or Blue hottentot not sure (Maybe someboddy can help).
This continued for the whole day and a half that we were there.
At the end of it I had caught 2 Kob, 3 Breems all in the 2,5 kg range.
Plus loads of smaller fish (Zebras,Moonfish,blowfish)
The only thing that stop me from catching fish was the fact that I had run out of gulp worms.The blowfish destroy the worms but if they dont eat all a better fish will eventually pick it up.
And the best of all by the end of the day serious oldschool fishermen were asking me if I can lend them my dropshot equipment and bait.