Greetings All   Our freshwater section

Obsession

Senior Member
Greetings All

 

Our freshwater section to LTBA has changed the rules to our competition on freshwater. I always just caught bable as fish for fish they are heavier and easier to catch. Now our first outting end Oct is a carp only weekend so I am a fish out of water. Have very little knowledge on Carp fishing. Any basic tips etc please. Typoe of traces baits dips and any other valueable info please.

Many thanks Guys
 

KUSAF

Senior Member
Hi Obsession.

The carp angling we practice cant really be used from a boat. I dont want to be rude but I dont think we have anything to offer you.

Do you guys practice catch and release?
 

Obsession

Senior Member
Rhodes University do their research in conjunction to the competition and most fish are released. In the salt water I release after tagging my fish. Have been one of the most active taggers in SA for the past four years.

The Darlington Dam where we fish is relatively over stocked with both carp and barble. We don't weigh dead fish!

Anyway I was hoping for some help. After all that is why we have the forum isn't it?

 

So long

 

Wayne Rudman

 
 

Obsession

Senior Member
Very much so. Each boat locates an area the day before and stakes his claim. First come first served basis. We camp out two nights on the banks of the dam and I really enjoy that outing.
 

KUSAF

Senior Member
Hi obsession.

What is the procedure for the weighing of the fish? From time of capture to releasing. Im only asking in regards to freshwater. What do you mean with "and most fish are released"

Thanks.

Konrad
 

Obsession

Senior Member
As I said Rhode University do their studies and with that some fish are injected with a growth monitiring agent (annual rings in the bone structure) recaught fish are then disected and studied.  Others are opened and studied but most are tagged and released or some locals are allowed to collect for their comunities (natural mortalities) All fish are kept in keep nets and brought to a scale that is at the waters edge (1/2 a meter) As much care is taken to keep the fish alive. I personally make sure of that.

I am a member of the Zwartkops Trust and environmental group (the oldest of its kind in the country) who preserve the Swartkops River and surrounds. I also lead a group of volunteers who give their time to MCM to enforce compliance at our Estuary. To date I lie 5th out of more than 400 anglers at the Rod Club (biggest in the country too) angling ladder. I have not one river league point the past two years as I won't kill a fish to claim the points. All river fish must be weighed at the Club house which makes it impossibhle to garranttee safe release.

I hope you see where I am coming from.

So long 

 
 

Mango

Sealiner
Hi Obs what I sugest is prebait with sweet corn (I know I will take flack for this)

Then what worked verry well at lake mentz some years back was tinned corn 2 or 3 pips on a small hook average fish we got was 5kg and over .all off this on a running sinker trace go as light as possible with your rigs
 

KUSAF

Senior Member
Obsession yes I do see where you coming from but also see where I come from. I only practise catch and release and would never kill a fish on purpose. I take care of my catch with treatment to any obvious injurys due to hooks, spawning or any other means. Dont you think it would be bias of me to give out info on how to catch a carp if I know that the safety of the fish will be jeopardised by the angler that I am giving the info to?

I can guarantee you the fish you keep in keep nets do get damage even if minimal. Ive seen carp in keepnets submerged below the water dead after 8hours and in my eyes a fish that is contained in a conventional keepnet is not safe. Some fish are dissected that you catch so there is no safe return for that poor soul.

As mentioned in my first reply I do not want to be rude.

Cheers.
 

Obsession

Senior Member
Hugo

Thanks. A grunter trace?

Mango wrote:
Hi Obs what I sugest is prebait with sweet corn (I know I will take flack for this)

Then what worked verry well at lake mentz some years back was tinned corn 2 or 3 pips on a small hook average fish we got was 5kg and over .all off this on a running sinker trace go as light as possible with your rigs
 

Obsession

Senior Member
Instead of stiring the pot your silence would have been golden. No offence. I joined Sealine to learn about angling and to become better all round. Lets leave it at that.

iKUSAF wrote:
Obsession yes I do see where you coming from but also see where I come from. I only practise catch and release and would never kill a fish on purpose. I take care of my catch with treatment to any obvious injurys due to hooks, spawning or any other means. Dont you think it would be bias of me to give out info on how to catch a carp if I know that the safety of the fish will be jeopardised by the angler that I am giving the info to?

I can guarantee you the fish you keep in keep nets do get damage even if minimal. Ive seen carp in keepnets submerged below the water dead after 8hours and in my eyes a fish that is contained in a conventional keepnet is not safe. Some fish are dissected that you catch so there is no safe return for that poor soul.

As mentioned in my first reply I do not want to be rude.

Cheers.
 

The Lawyer

New member
KUSAF, i get what you trying to say, but if the disecting of the fish is used in connjunction with academics monitoring growth of the fish, we cant say that practice is for useless reasons. Unfortunately, it seems certain fish will be sacrificed for the greater good and for the protection of the ecosystem!
 

Obsession

Senior Member
MY point. There are only 6 fishing days on that estuary as regerds competitions fromk our facit. Hardly exploiting the well stocked dam anyway. 

 

The Lawyer wrote:
KUSAF, i get what you trying to say, but if the disecting of the fish is used in connjunction with academics monitoring growth of the fish, we cant say that practice is for useless reasons. Unfortunately, it seems certain fish will be sacrificed for the greater good and for the protection of the ecosystem!
 

Carpfinder18

Senior Member
Look im with kusaf here 100% im not going to give out information and then they catch a 15kg carp and stuff it into a keepnet and then it gets dameged and dies or they use it to disect! No offence im more than willing to help a fellow angler but im not going to take the chance and give him specimen methods and they kill a giant size fish!!! Try the genrale section they will be able to help you!
 

The Lawyer

New member
Guys, are we specimen anglers becoming the biggest hypocrites!
I dont think majority of us vegertarian!!
At any given outdoor sport consideration should be given to the environment and to the animals, however their would be certain circumstances where research would need the disecting of animals to better improve the environment.

Anyway, i am a firm believer of catch and release and good fish care! But, i assure you specimen anglers no matter how safe are your rigs and set ups we cant be 100% sure that we dont cause any trauma to the fish when we strike the rod or when we reel the fish in!!

Lets not respond to other anglers like we on the moral high ground!
 

Wernerh

Senior Member
In Obsession's first post, it was clear that he is not a Specimen Angler. Why not just say sorry bud, maybe try the conventional side?
I am a conventional angler that practise carp safety the specimen way. I also get "die m03r in" when carp are placed in keepnets or misandled. It is also not clear if they weigh and tag just the biggest fish or only ones below a certain weight.
 

Carpfinder18

Senior Member
Ya well he didnt specify and like i said im more than willing to help a fellow angler but i did say he should try the general section!
 

KUSAF

Senior Member
KUSAF wrote:
Hi Obsession.

The carp angling we practice cant really be used from a boat. I dont want to be rude but I dont think we have anything to offer you.

Do you guys practice catch and release?

Werner i think in my first post I did cover all the aspects you refer to. And for the guys jumping on the bandwagon about the studies conducted on carp get real. How many fish do you think is caught on a three day session? I dont know if Rhodes uni will do studies on all of them.

If all you guys condone fish murder and keepnets then surely this is not a specimen carp forum anymore.
 
Top