Great White @ Mazzepa

Pucky

Senior Member
I just got an email (with attachment of photos) from one of my club mates of a 280kg Great White caught at Mazzepa. This well known anglers has got the photos to prove it too!

It's a great catch!!!!!!!

But i'm not going to post it or share names! Just want too know what you guys think and has anyone heard of the story.   

 

 
 

Pucky

Senior Member
P.S. It wasn't one of my club mates who caught it...I got the email mail from one of my club mates.
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
misguide wrote:
I heard about it last week. It is by a well known angler - will also not mention names.

You have a PM
@misguide.When are u gona take me White hunting in the Kei like u promist to? Hmmm lol... He he he just joking.. Well to the guy that caught it nice catch, i just hope he took poper care puting it back...
 

Jigger

New member
Long as he wasn't fishing for it congrats to the man , hope it gave him a good pull and released it .

If he was fishing for it I wouldn't tell you next time if I were him .
 

AD97

Senior Member
OK OK I will confess. It was me, I then slid him for a bigger white, but no pickups, awesome fight though. ha ha. I wish ;)
 

Pucky

Senior Member
Jigger wrote:
Long as he wasn't fishing for it congrats to the man , hope it gave him a good pull and released it .

If he was fishing for it I wouldn't tell you next time if I were him .
 

How do you target great whites?
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
Pucky wrote:
Jigger wrote:
Long as he wasn't fishing for it congrats to the man , hope it gave him a good pull and released it .

If he was fishing for it I wouldn't tell you next time if I were him .
 

How do you target great whites?
i wouldent say one could especialy target then in Tskei because any thing could pick up your 32kg greyshark swimbait..
But in Western Cape water's if u swim a bait of 32kg there is likely only one thing that will pick u up and that's a SharpNose Bronzie or TWSNBT ="THAT WHAT SHALL NOT BE TARGETED" ...
 

RedEye

Senior Member
Pucky wrote:
Jigger wrote:
Long as he wasn't fishing for it congrats to the man , hope it gave him a good pull and released it .

If he was fishing for it I wouldn't tell you next time if I were him .
 

How do you target great whites?
You don't. But in the old days when you were allowed to just the same as with tagetting ant big species of shark. Now we just don't even discuss it without getting flak.
 

Fishnewbie

Senior Member
One of my mates,also caught a great white at Mazeppa earlier this year, was 170kg or something I think, also saw the pic. He did release it.
 

Pucky

Senior Member
All I want too know is what the deal is!! are you allowed to bring the fish safely on too the beach get your trophy pick and release it?
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
JJH PIENAAR my grandfather caught one of South Pier in 1950's 280lb was then a small fishy compared to what was coming out there those day's..
 

Pucky

Senior Member
RedEye wrote:
Pucky wrote:
Jigger wrote:
Long as he wasn't fishing for it congrats to the man , hope it gave him a good pull and released it .

If he was fishing for it I wouldn't tell you next time if I were him .
 

How do you target great whites?
You don't. But in the old days when you were allowed to just the same as with tagetting ant big species of shark. Now we just don't even discuss it without getting flak.
you slide a big bait you target sharks....you never know what you going to pick up.

All I want to know is if I mistakingly hook agreat white am I allowed to beach it and take photos. if not why did this guy do it! He should know!
 

J_Bay

Sealiner
Pucky, the short answer is, you are not allowed to do it, at all.

The law clearly states you may not, harrass, attempt to catch, or land, any great white. They enjoy protected status, and thus fishing for them is totally banned.

You might not be able to control what eats your slide, but the law does not say you have to. It simply states you can't land it. I don't want to go into the whole pro's and cons thing of weather it's good to cut the line without taking out hooks, since that's a debate with no end at all, as seen many times on Sealine, lol.

You can't catch, you can't land them, best to stay away from them. The penalty for landing one, is R50 000.00 fine, or 5 years in jail...
 

brendon muscat

Senior Member
The minute you know it is a sharp nose you have to cut the line, if you play it into the shallows and atempt to land it and are caught, you will recieve a fine.
 

J_Bay

Sealiner
@JJ, they used to catch enormous white sharks on the South Pier when the whaling station was open. Biggest one weighed in at 1650 pounds, wich I believe is still the biggest land based shark capture ever. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's still the biggest shark ever caught from land.
 

RedEye

Senior Member
It is the law now that as soon as you ID the shark as a Great White, you must cut your line without touching the shark at all. So photos are also a no no.

Big debates have been had before and continue but for the moment that is what the law says. Do a search on this forum and you will find all the debates thus far.
 
Top