Got this off an e-mail sent to us by one our members:
"And I will leave you with this report that has just come in from my mate John Crabb down in South Africa - John took a kob (kabeljou) that from the measurements comes out at around 82kgs, and in my basic maths that works out to around 180lbs !!!! This simply outstanding fish measured 197cm with a 116cm girth, and after a few photos this magnificent creature was returned safely to the sea. John says the fish swam off very strongly. Kob are one of my most favourite species on earth and this one beats the current South African record by about 10kgs - note that John took it right off the beach (not a boat) down at Jeffrey's Bay. I can not tell you how special a fish like this is and my utmost respect goes out to John for managing to catch such a fish. Like I have said before on this blog, he is one of the most talented rock and surf anglers I have ever been lucky enough to meet. And he says that there are places around Jeffrey's where big kob can also be taken on lures. To think of edible type fish swimming around so close to the beach just blows my mind. Awesome stuff."
Heard they now can't get hold of the guy who caught it. Also some story that the fish was not returned, but sold. J
Just stories being spread, or some truth, I don't know. Still, and awesome catch.