Good day to all. I am planning to visit family

carpoholic

New member
Good day to all.

I am planning to visit family in the UK(Essex area) sometime next year and I really want to do a couple nights at a UK lake.I am battling to find venues around UK that cater for all my needs....Any suggestions chaps?

I'm not taking any gear besides terminal tackle,so i'll need a venue that supplies gear,bivvy etc.I would prefer if the venue allows and supplies a dingy of some sort and most crucial must have,would be 40lb+ fish.;)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
I suggest you go catch species that arent found in South Africa... Pike, Chub, Barbel etc... Did a trip there in June and would have honestly been pissed to catch a carp - there are plenty here in SA
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
If you were going up to North Yorkshire I could have helped... There are loads of places you can get day tickets to fish. Get on one of the UK forums and chat to the okes.

I tend to agree with Aqua... Pike, Chub, Roach, Barbel, Wels catfish, golden orf, bream and tench who happened to be my no1.

Try float fishing I loved it!

Oh and Perch!
 

carpoholic

New member
Thanx for the replies.I have also asked on uk forums...just thought maybe someone here has fished for carp in the UK...I'm not really into any other species.
 

EugeneC

Sealiner
I lived in Hertfordshire for a couple of years and fished the area extensively for carp and other species. Never been to Essex though and I mostly fished rivers and canals, so I can't really advise on what you're after. Maybe send a PM to MadCarper, he's in Ireland, but perhaps knows the scene in England?

You should really give the other species a shot, pike and barbel (the English variety is similar to our yellowfish) are awesome fun to catch!
 

DocPhil

Senior Member
Try Carthagena fishery in the Lee Valley. I lived near there and have seen some good carp come out.
I would try for carp all day long if I were to visit England again, it's the birthplace of specimen style fishing.
As for renting gear, I don't know of many places in the UK where you could do this, maybe talk to the Carthagena people about this?

And let us know how you went!
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Used to fish for tench with 4lb line and 12/13ft float rods with small very hooks. Awesome battles! My biggest was around 7lb.
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
we should start a thread, a lot of members fished there.

edit
I just published my second of three videos from that trip to youtube, I'll make a thread soon
 
Hi Carpoholic,
I personally don't know of anyone that rents carp gear in the UK, if u are dead set on fishing for monster carp over there, I would buy a joblot of EBAY, use it over there and then bring it back and sell it. Or else, there are companies on the Norfolk Broads, about 2 hours from Essex, that do pike fishing tours with a guide, gear, boat, tackle, licenses, bait, etc. I did mine through Wroxham Angling, 01603-782453, well worth it, in my opinion, those Broads pike are fighting machines, lots of 20lbers and some 30's. Best of luck m8.
 

JohannM

Senior Member
We wanted to rent gear there and could not find any. We eventually travelled with all our gear.

Try Bluebell Lakes. Any one can fish there and there are 2 lakes (Swan & Kingfisher) which both holds a good head of 40lbs+ carp.

They guys there helped us with the odd piece of gear, unhooking mat, landing net etc which we could not fly over.

Its low stock waters and very tough. No boats allowed, forget about that in the UK. Marker and cast.

The Bluebell comnplex have loads of history, Benson resided in Kingfisher lake and "The Creature" also. Both UK record carp. Its also a beautifull fishing complex, stunning.
 

JohannM

Senior Member
Personally I would fly over the France and go fish there. Fishing in the UK is OK but generally dissapointing.

Find Matt from Cassien Carp Tours. He supplies gear and guided trips if needed. Its a different world, you need guidance.

Bait is a big problem, you need loads of bait for some of the big fish waters in France and getting it there is tough but doable.
 
Top