Fresh water angling in KZN

Langjan

New member
Searching through all the topics covered on this excellent site, i am jet to find someone mentioning KZN dams. Are there no clubs, anglers or even fish in our local dams.

Where do you guys go for fresh water fishing?

I read a lot about The Cape region, seems that fishing is alive and doing well around there.

I have tried Shongweni but to no avail, to me it was a waste of time but i at least enjoyed the day camping.

At Midmar i landed a few under 2Kg Carps (handled them with care and released them asap). The angling area at Midmar is shamelesly squeezed into a small corner area of the dam. the only fish that swims into this area are the ones that are lost.

:fswim    :fishn

 
 

J_Bay

Sealiner
I go up to Hazelmere. I've never caught any carp there, but I have caught lots of bass. Sometimes I wonder if there are actually carp in there...
 

Langjan

New member
Thanks for reminding me of Hazelmere, 5 years ago I lost a brand new shining expensive spoon there hooking unto the underwater structures.

  
 

Langjan

New member
Shuraj, what lovely equipment you are showing of in your avitar. I have been to Alberts fall, just might have been at the wrong time as the water level meant one to walk about 50 meters + to get to knee deep. nothing to show for the trip from Durban for the day.
 

nobbles

New member
Dont be to harsh on the freh water in Natal. Shongweni holds monster carp. Yes it is over fished but really is a dam to test your skill. I have been fishing there for barbel and bass for about 4 years now and i have never seen a carp under 8kg come out those waters. It is a dam you really have to have patience and skill on.

Midmar is productive, depending on species. Albert is full of fish. Nagel dam is full of fish, Inanda is full of fish. Sterkfontien is full of fish, spoinkjop is full. There arealot of productive waters in Natal.
 

Kris4lis

New member
Maybe take up fly-fishing and head to Drakensburg? Its not a crazy far drive, worth a try? :)

I lived in Durban for over 20 years, there are plenty of freshwater places. I agree with nobbles completely.
 

Enigma

Moderator
Ntsingwayo (Chelmsford dam) - Newcastle

Klipkoppies (Vryheid)

There are a number of clubs in KZN and they have 5 x SA Champions and a large number of Protea Bank Anglers

Over the past 5 years they ended in the top 3 at Nationals, consistently

Contact Teus Bezuidenhoud, 15 Time Protea angler and tema captain whi is on the KZN Freshwater management at

tbezuidenhout@oldmutual.com

0836875809

0333959334
 

pjjdp

New member
List of dams with current levels.

http://www.dwaf.gov.za/hydrology/Weekly/ProvinceWeek.aspx?region=KN
 
Top