Forever Gariep

Renier Greeff

New member
Hi Gents I need some help on the Gariep. First time ever going there and first time in 2,5 years going angling. Spot, flavour, distance... Anything will help please. I dont want to be dissapointed
 

Renier Greeff

New member
Ok so not good news, I found out today tha my destination is not of best choise and there are not any quality fish, aparently the Aventura resort is "nice" for a family outing. There might be some yellow fish and barber after hours. I need some detail on yellow fish angling and a proven barber gameplan. None of the above my preference but a new challenge.... Any assistance appreciated. Dankie!!!
 

kerneelsie

New member
Hi Renier. i just joined sealine today. I am also planning a trip to Gariep soon to catch the asian silver carp. I think you should find a good bank there on google. As for the bigger fish... i found that all dams have their big fish, only a few minor differences on how to catch them on each venue. In addition i also would like to find out which bank will give the angler the best chance to land a few silver carp and perhaps a meneer or two carp. If you need help on dams closer to Pretoria (bronkies,harties,vaalkop,Roodekopjes, vaaldam, bloemhof or roodeplaat i can help you out. I will be able to help you out there:).
 

Enigma

Moderator
kerneelsie, I think you got the venues mixed up. I'm sure you're off to Arabie to fish for Asian Silver Carp.

Gariep is on the upper Orange river and is the biggest dam in South Africa

All the venues fish much like the Vaal Dam, there are good fish to be had all over and it has some of the best shore based yellowfish, fishing in the country.

You should best approach it as if you were fishing Krugersdrift just outside Bloemfontein.
 

kerneelsie

New member
:?. Hahaha thanks enigma you are right I appologise...I miss spoke. Yes arabie (flag bos dam). Where would the best bank (oewer) be at arabie dam for the silver carp please? I heard they can be caught on floaties or pop-ups. Do you still use mieliebomb? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the mix up.::tight:
 

Enigma

Moderator
Schuinsdraai

Short distance ie 20-30m with lots of feed and short traces with large floaties on

We are fishing league there 31 Oct and 1 Nov

Hate the Chinamen "Asian Silver Carp" and never target them I only fish carp and muddies there and we fish 4-8 comps a year there
 

kerneelsie

New member
It is very similar to the grass carp... at first you want to catch one, but after that you dread each and every one of them. Thank you for your input. One more question please! I fish venues like harties and catch in the 40 fish three times in a row,even 60, and then one day nothing!! not a single bite...please tell me does a professional angler like you also get stuck and blank once or twice a year in the summer? I know everyone blanks in winter hehe. Thank you enigma! I really do appreciate the advice from a pro! _seal1_
 

Enigma

Moderator
Hi, nothing like a Grasscarp, they are filter feeders and feed completely differently.

For many years it was believed they could only be jigged and not caught on bait. It took me 4 years to get my SA records recognised (I still hold the SA light, Medium and open tackle records for Silver Carp)

BTW it's Flag Boshielo Dam

When I was really fishing a lot in Freshwater Comps I blanked once in 67 outings in a year and it was in September in Harties. Always make a plan but Harties ans Roodekoppies are bad for blanks and Septemeber in Arabie is a guarrantee for a VLANK
 

Enigma

Moderator
Hi, nothing like a Grasscarp, they are filter feeders and feed completely differently.

For many years it was believed they could only be jigged and not caught on bait. It took me 4 years to get my SA records recognised (I still hold the SA light, Medium and open tackle records for Silver Carp)

BTW it's Flag Boshielo Dam

When I was really fishing a lot in Freshwater Comps I blanked once in 67 outings in a year and it was in September in Harties. Always make a plan but Harties ans Roodekoppies are bad for blanks and Septemeber in Arabie is a guarrantee for a VLANK
 
Top