Flotation in new ski's-your thoughts

Psy

Sealiner
Heres a thread from an Australian forum AKFF.com, some related banter about Buoyancy.


http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51823

good for a laugh too. :)
 

jpfish

New member
Hello Vis, not critisizing any kayaks either, yes i dont enter the water through a lot of surf and have had only limited experience breaking through waves and having to surf on the return. I am only giving an opinion of my experience and observations of ski fishing here in Cape Town. Floatation is an important aspect for me as it is aids in my safety should something go wrong. Closed cell foam glued to the hull throughout is in my opinion the best way to go. The hull design and weight? Well once again just an opinion given of my experiences, nothing to do with any specific ski. Had a look at the orca online as the name here in cape town is not known, it looks like a great ski. So guys heres to good weather and awsome fishing. John
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Hi JPFish - with regard to the Mac Explorer you mentioned, and buoyancy, they have none whatsoever. When i still had mine, i stuffed 3 or 4 pool noodles down each side for a bit of floatation and peace of mind. I got them in through the back hatch and over the gap at the top of the rear bulkhead.
cheers F
 

jpfish

New member
Hi fredster did the same, had to improvise as the ski has no compartments that are sealed. Trying to modify it some more by moulding a fish box up front that can be removed. Thanks. John
 

Fredster

Senior Member
hi JP sounds like that hatch upfront would also reduce the volume of water in the boat - reducing the the bath-tub effect - those are definitely a strictly flatwater craft only.
 

jpfish

New member
Hi yip that the prob with the explorer. It more like a canoe. Yes reducing the well space. Nice stable craft exept for the deck layout. Jp
 

Vis Burger

New member
Hi John !

All good ! im actually waiting for Justin t com ad dmo his boats in Knysna so i can represent the brand here .

As for flotation i agree 100% the more the better !

Quote : Fishing is a jerk at one end of a line ,waiting for a jerk on the other end !!

Regards

Vis:fbash
 

YELLOWTAILER

New member
This topic has been lying dormant for a while now.
I work on fishing skis and found that some big manufacturers such as stealth have only two small loose pieces of polystyrene under the footwell area. I dare someone to cut open a ski and prove me wrong. Found this in the supalite, bfs and evolution. There is absolutely nothing in the back. How do I know this ? I often cut the back open to fit a hatch cover to put transducers in the hull. Pinnacle on the other hand has very big polystyrene blocks glued between the hull and deck in the rear as well as in the sides, so much so that its impossible to even run wires down the sides of the fish hatch.
I will be involved with the manufacturing of the Sea wolf fishing kayak ( previously known as orca ) in the near future.
_seal1_
 

YELLOWTAILER

New member
Hi Edgy

Justin no longer builds the Orca Sea wolf kayak.
I will be building them with some experienced kayak builders assistance in Cape Town.
The new owners of the moulds will be posting data as soon as things are in full swing.
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Great topic guys, something that isn't discussed enough...

For the guys who do not belong to a fishing or ski-boat club, having flotation would not be a requirement (no enforcement). Although, personally, I feel it to be a necessity, especially this side of the world.

Prior to registering at the local ski-boat club my Bamba needed a buoyancy certificate and even when produced the craft was still inspected. The guys from Fluid simply filled the craft with polystyrene billets, which work fine as buoyancy. What I like about polystyrene is that it is light and cannot absorb water. My Mako Millennium has an air filled gland which is acceptable but always has the chance of being compromised due to friction, wear and tear and time.

A few years back I refurbished ski-boats and we would remove the 2 liter bottles and replace it with 2 part expandable urethane foam, it's excellent and has a negative water absorption rating... Then again, as with everything it's all about preparation, preparation, preparation.

I think, adding a little weight for the sake of safety is a fair compromise. I also think that although trying to enforce the rules I believe it's the responsibility of each boat owner to make sure his/her craft has the necessary buoyancy. Manufacturers today should actually provide you with a certificate of buoyancy.

That's my 5 cents... _seal1_
 

Attachments

  • P1090281 (Copy).JPG
    P1090281 (Copy).JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 73

YELLOWTAILER

New member
30% is the amount needed as a minimum , I've found some surf ski s and k1s actually have a lot of polystyrene and would say pinnacle has plenty. But how do other manufacturers that clearly display their stickers like that photo of my green supalite x, get away with virtually nothing in terms of added buoyancy.
Skis like Kaskazi and orca have sealed bulkheads basically splitting the hull into separate compartments like a ship so if one gets damaged it will still float, even without added buoyancy.
Other popular brands have a sealed hull and sealed dry hatch plus fish hatch , but there is a larger area that can fill up if the hull gets punctured therefore buoyancy would be more critical, same applies to surfskis that have no bulkheads.
Polystyrene is the buoyancy material used by all kayak manufacturers, the Sondor foams are an option which I am seriously considering but aswith any manufactured product costs need to be factored in.
 
Top