Dropshot rigs for De Mond.

sardyntjie

Senior Member
hi ,

I am taking a group oof friends to De Mond in a few weeks time. They are far from expert fishermen and fly fishing will be out of the qurestion. I want them to catch something on dropshot and want to know what lures are recommended.
 

RedEye

Senior Member
Grunter should take the gulp prawn. Haven't tried dropshot but they love real prawn there on super light takle.
 

sardyntjie

Senior Member
[color=#006600]RedEye[/color] wrote:
Grunter should take the gulp prawn. Haven't tried dropshot but they love real prawn there on super light takle.
I tried Gulpo prawn up the coast at Goukama.The grunter were so thick you could pick your grunter with real prawn. They wouldnt touch the Gulp.I used fluorocarbon leader and no jighead. I could see the gulp lying between the grunter ( polaroids ), one took a nibble then dropped it.Never got a touch thereafter.
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
I have caught a grunter on a 3"Gulp Pearl Minnow (+another 23 species) using a slow jig and pause retrieve. I have caught almost bugger all on the prawn and worm imitations.
 

sardyntjie

Senior Member
Ive tried those bloodworms too. They smell to high heaven in your kit box and do bugger all in the water . They dont even feel or look real. Mind , I ve read about Natal angglers who have caught , but thats probably in a very productive area.
 
Top