Dropshot reels

Erich

New member
Morning all

Question:  What are the defferince between the Exceler and Exceler Plus.  It is with paying the extra buck or two and why.

sorry for noob quetion but looking to buy the exceler reel and exceler rod for spinning and drophotting.

Cheers
 

sparky

Senior Member
erich, as far as i know the 'plus' version has extra bearings. also check out the shimano reels- the stradic is an amazing reel around the same price.
 

Erich

New member
sparky wrote:
erich, as far as i know the 'plus' version has extra bearings. also check out the shimano reels- the stradic is an amazing reel around the same price.

sparky thanks,  I have looked at the Stradic, but price is a bit steep.

Exceler -> R800
Stradic -> R1500

That is a price of the Exceler rod I wanna buy. If I had the extra money I would have gon for the Stradic.. :ifishin

I just wanna reel that can handle Kob, Garric and steenies..
 

neilg

Sealiner
Exceller and Exceller Plus are both good and strong reels

Plus has more bearings, and I THINK can do a tad more drag pressure.

Both good

Stradic AMAZING
 

AndriesH

Sealiner
Also consider the Penn's. Their Pro-Elite 4000 drew good reaction at the GP social last week.
12lb/ 200yds, sealed drag with alluminium spool, 4 ball bearings. Well suited to estuary and dropshotting.
 

Erich

New member
Just another question , Are there any rods that you can advise other then the Exceler 9" heavy.  Gonna use it for surf spinnig and dropshot..
 

neilg

Sealiner
Berkley Air XH 9ft

just replace the top 3 small guides if you gonna use a leader longer than 500mm.

Bang for buck, buy the exceller 9ft rod ! (I have the Berkley Air)
 

Erich

New member
neilg wrote:
Berkley Air XH 9ft

just replace the top 3 small guides if you gonna use a leader longer than 500mm.

Bang for buck, buy the exceller 9ft rod ! (I have the Berkley Air)

Thanks neilg,  will then stick to the exceler..
 

fishfinder23

Senior Member
tell you what,my exceller was kindly "donated" 2 the underprivelaged at swartkops about 6 months ago,so i bought myself a daiwa regal,wow,performs just as good,u get 2 spools and its half the price!got mine for like 400bucks!apparently some of the esa guys are even using it now!go check it out,because u can get a 2500 and a 4000 size for the same price as 1 exceller. my2 cents worth!use it,dnt use it,and about the rod,i use a passion stick,awsim rod at 600bucks...
 

Torpedo Jack

Senior Member
Hi Neil!

I noticed you recommend replacing the top 3 guides. I have a Berkley 9' XH too, and was experiencing leader disintegration on casting (bimini to Yucatan, 14lb Fireline Crystal). Could this have something to do with my problem?

Looking forward to your reply.

Mike

 
 

neilg

Sealiner
Jip Torpedo Jack
IT'S GOT EVERYTHING to do with your problem.

The blank is made to handle very big fish, the guides are also of a very good quality but the guides are simply to small (the front 3-4 ones).

When the rod was designed it was made with the mindset that a longer leader is not required, but we use it differently to the way the designer thought we would.

If you run a short fluorocarbon leader of say 500mm the size of the guides don't pose a problem, but the minute you actually pass the knots of heavier lines and leaders through the small front guides you experience MAJOR problems.
 

Torpedo Jack

Senior Member
Ok, you're officially my hero now. Mana for you, (How do I do that?)

If you followed my posts from a year ago, this thing nearly drove me mad!!! Have a look at the posts here - perhaps we should start a thread regarding this, and maybe save others the same frustration.

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=6191&forum_id=25

Check it out & let me know.

Mike
 

neilg

Sealiner
Scanned through the old post, boet, IT'S THE SMALL GUIDES

I actually thought I BROKE the Air when I used it a while back, that's how hard the knot hit the guide.

I've put bigger ones on now, and TRULY believe that problem will be history.

Alcocks (who changed my guides for me) reckon they've done a few of them already !
 

AndriesH

Sealiner
Nice little reel, got one at home. Keep it clean and it will service you well.
Match that to a 6'6 or 7' Medium or Medium Light graphite rod, 10lb braid and Bob is your uncle for under R800.00
 

J_Bay

Sealiner
Thanks Andries getting one on Friday...When I have some bucks again, been a bit tight this last week...to much joling...lol.

I'm getting a little blue marlin rod with it, can't remember the model, its a nice light grey with cork grips, pretty nice, all in all R750.00.
 

AndriesH

Sealiner
That's great news.
Next time also have a look at the Penn Elite 2000 or 3000 reel, combined with a Pioneer Crossfire, maybe 6'6 or7', both in M/L
Should work out about R850.00 - R900.00 for the combo.(I know the boss, can make a plan)
Tight lines J-bay
(Funny, I thought you'd rather call yourself Nahoon - he he he)
 
Top