Dropshot reels?The endless debate!

Mongoose1979

New member
Thanks Guys for all the advise!The only thing that is stopping me from going for the Exceler is the price tag.I am willing to pay it but as I am not close to the saltwater to fish regularly, I think I will go for the Slade 4000.Hope that I will not be dissapointed!

Thanks Again and TIGHT LINES TO EVERYONE!!!!!

Cheers,

Mongoose
 
G

Guest

Guest
Hello Gents

I have had just about every spinning reels there is. My expereince with the Exceller was not a good one. I tried everyting to get it right. I put carbontex washers in it. The problem that I had was this. I use the reel for throwing small plugs in the lagoon at leeries. I get fish to 9 kg and about 120 fish a season. I used this reel on a TFO sopinning rod with 10lbs fireline. The reel is just not smooth enough to lay the line of the spool evenly when winding a plug at high speed. The oscillation ratio?? of the reel is not right. This is the speed of the spool moving up and down compare with the speed of the bail arm turning. The result is a reel that packs braid poorly and this translates into the braid cutting into itself when under drag. When using light tackle for good fuish this is not something that you want.

I now have 2 x Sustain 4000 on two medium light Shimano trevela rods and have never looked back. Also have the stradic that works a treat on the TFo spinning rod.I found that the trusty Diawa BG 15 was better than the Excellor in terms of the way it packed the line. The Slade 4000 packs the braid far better than the Excellor.

I would think that with a slower retrieve that this reel would work. Did not like the size of the spool either. Seriously affect one casting distance. Mechanically the reel is sound but it really did not suit my application

Regards

Anton
 

ziggy

Member
Anton - I agree 100%  - I had an Exceller, and experienced big problems with it - (somewhere on Sealine there is a thread about my reel with pics - but I cant seem to find it) - Maybe the moderate can assist in finding that thread

The reel did not lay the line on the spool evenly (It did it in an hour glass shape) - when casting, the line came off in a bunch - so I spent a lot of time taking out the mess. Everything was tried , like adding washers like one does with Shimano.

I took it back to where i bought it - and they said that there was nothing wrong with it. Eventually they gave me my money back after I was insistent that nothing that they could do with the reel would change its operation. It may have been that specific reel, who knows.

Since then I have bought 3 Shimanos (stradic 2500 and 4000, and a Sustain 5000). I jhave never had a bunch up once on these reels in the two years that I have had them. No problems at all in any respects.

I think that their drag is far better than the Diawa - and their general action as well.  I also noticed that the oscillation is far superior - I have Jigman braid with a duifferent colour every 10 meters - you can see the consistent pattern that the braid creates when it is laid down  - the Exceller did not do the  same at all

Apart from rinsing in fresh water after each outing and very occasionally putting a few drops of oil in the service port - I have had ti do no maintenance at all - and the reels still look new.

In my experience - I would not buy a Diawa reel
 
Top