Dropshot reel

Babyson

New member
Hi guys.

I am looking at getting a decent spinning reel, my budget is around R600 and that might be even be a push, so reels like the Exceler are unfortunately out.

I am looking for a well made reel with a decent drag that wont brake the bank, in a 2500, maybe 3000 size. I aim to target some small Kingies, blacktail, shad etc. in the salt but also use it for spinning in freshwater for bass and barbel.
I have my eye on the Daiwa Regal and the Procaster. Any comments on these? And maybe any Shimanos in that price range that I should take a look at as I don't know Shimanos lineup at all. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
I don't like the Daiwa Regal I have one and the design is not up to dropshot. The pinion shaft/gear has no support and therefore wear out very quickly. I am not a "Shimano Man" but when talking entry level to mid range spinning reels they have some good! options. I think the Slade may be one in that price range. Penn also have some good optins. There is one Penn with 7 bearing in that sort of price range but I would advise a Shimano and don't forget to keep some money spare for Fireline!!
 

Babyson

New member
FLUKE wrote:
I don't like the Daiwa Regal I have one and the design is not up to dropshot. The pinion shaft/gear has no support and therefore wear out very quickly. I am not a "Shimano Man" but when talking entry level to mid range spinning reels they have some good! options. I think the Slade may be one in that price range. Penn also have some good optins. There is one Penn with 7 bearing in that sort of price range but I would advise a Shimano and don't forget to keep some money spare for Fireline!!
Thanks Fluke, that is exactly the sort of info I am looking for. So the Regal is out, anyone have any comments on the Procaster?
Think I am going to try pop into one of the local stores to see if I can check out the Shimanos and their prices, can't find a SA online store that sells them.

Thanks for the input.
Rob
 

roland

Sealiner
can get you a daiwa exceller from a local pawn shop for R500 2nd hand....alternatively , u can go for the shimano sedona and i can personally vouch for it...love it. obviously there are better ones but with a budget i would definitely go for the sedona lol
 

Babyson

New member
Man, just too late! I was asking on behalf of my Dad who couldn't wait any longer so bought himself a Regal yesterday. Think he is just going to have to watch the pinion shaft for any play and look after the bearings in the salt.
I will be in the market for a reel sometime soon so will definitely take a look at the Sedona, thanks Roland

Rob
 
Top