Dropshot in kalkbay and houtbay harbour

Hoodlum

New member
Hi guys

Anybody try Kalkbay or Houtbay Harbour for dropshot...?!

Bait used and info would be much appreciated...

Any luck....?!

Thanks

Hoodlum
 
Good topic,

 

I always wanted to know if there's any fish in HOUT BAY HARBOUR, We normally spend alot of time there when we holiday in CPT but I've seen anyone fish there, I've only seen a few okes catching Crayfish on one of the Piers there.
 

Bongi

New member
Ja ....... Kalk Bay......without success.

Tried the Berkely worm and also a little Berkely  minnow. Had some pecks from tiny strepies/ hottentot and little rotsballies on my worms , but nothing exciting.

Have caught a fair number of elf and small kob (most kob are too small and are  released - but fun anyhow) on frozen pilchard and mackerel , but they have refused my dropshot offerings. Maybe because I'm a palooka at this dropshot thing.

I've seen a guy catch a 15-20kg kob on the inside wall one evening last summer. What a memorable experince that was. Another morning I witnessed a guy hook into a good sized geelbek off the wall!!!! So there are still decent fish taken on occasion -- on bait.

Summer/Spring  time after a strong SE wind is best , and from my own experience I'd stick to fresh or frozen bait if you want to catch anything decent -- although maybe it's just my dropshot action that sucks and perhaps you have can get it right.

Oh, .....winter is generally a waste of time there. I wouldn't waste time trying to catch there right now.

 

 
 

Sage

Senior Member
Hoodlum I have been told the berkley bloodworm works very well off the Kalkbay wall....Hope this helps.
 

t-time

Senior Member
hey there
there was one night when the elf were coming out quite a lot, so i decided that ill give it a go on dropshot. so out comes the 4'' blue mackeral. i eventually got one elf on dropshot after a while. much easier on bait. i guess the bait works better at kalk bay. and is also cheaper cos the elf stuff up the minnow everytime.
 

Hoodlum

New member
Hi Guys...

Update on KalkBay Harbour. Fished light dropshot rig using Berkley camo sand worm, Blood Worm and Shrimp...and no results not even any nibbles. Also tried Buckhair Jigs and spinners with no success. We fished on the Pier at the light house casting and retrieving at various speeds and depths and the only interest i got was from the resident seals and the spinners I was using and me trying to avoid hooking one of the seals which my little one called dogs! lol 

Fished pushing tide in the morning. However at baileys there were a few of the locals that managed to land some steenbras in the 7-10 kg range three of them to be exact using blood worm (the real stuff). I didn't venture out onto the rocks as i had the little one in the arm. The area is fish-able with good shoes as those rocks look slippery and rather dangerous if one happens to fall.

We win some we loose some.....off to the next location it is...

Tightlines
 
Top