Drop shot equipment for Santa Maria

Sparkplugcaster

New member
We're off to Santa Maria/Inhaca in December and are basically going to spend the whole time fishing (our wives don't know this yet). Got all the equipment for deep sea, surf and fly fishing, but also want to give drop shot a go. Can anyone advise about a good rig (rod, reel and lures) for catching kingies and queens etc in the Santa Maria channel?
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
If it's anything like when I was there last, anything will work! the only problem with fishing in the channel is that it is deep and has rocky sides. While I was there some blokes were plugging it away there in the evenings and hooked many good Kingfish. They never landed one! Be sure to take Gulp 3" minnows.
 

Streak

New member
I have fished there a couple of times from the shore both in the channel and around the corner on the mainland sea side.
Some very big kingies there.
I landed a 5Kg on my 9 weight fly rod.
I also used my 6 foot bass rod (before drop shot was popular) and small spinners for lots of fun with many other species.

Get heavy weight stuff with 1oz + jigheads etc. if you want to target the bigger species or the regular lightweight stuff with 1/2oz and less for the smaller species. Worms, minnows and jigs will all work.

Seeing that you will have all the other heavier tackle I would take the lighter weight stuff for some fun.

Just make sure you have lots of line (braid) on your reel in case you hook something big.
 
Top