Do you paddle alone?

Predator_828

New member
Since I bought my kayak last year I have only taken it out in estuaries, the strongest current I have encountered has been a river mouth and it really was nothing to difficult to handle. But often I have family telling me, that it's dangerous to go alone and they pull the 'anything could happen argument', I understand going out to sea is a whole different story but being a decent swimmer I really think that there is little to no risk paddling alone in calm waters. I have purposely tipped my hunterski which was actually pretty damn hard (well done with your design Brian @ hunterski!) and I was able to flip it back over and get in without having to be standing. I haven't bought myself a PFD either, mainly cause its quite a pricy piece of kit.

What do you guys think? Is it reckless to paddle alone, or does it depend on the water you on?
 

Malboer

New member
Hi Predator

See my post on once bitten. They are right annything can happen.
Going out alone is ALWAYS a risk. ( one i do take often, not that i want to,there is just no one to fish with)

Get a pfd its worth it in the long run. only go out alone if someone knows your float plan. Time is your enemy if out alone. If you say your back at 3o clock make sure you are back at 3 o clock othrwise your wife is going to raise the alarm(it might be to late in any way)or you get a hiding from her and end your fishing for good.

Make sure your safety equipement is up to standard and be aware of you suroundings at all times.

Get a fishing buddy who is as fanatic about fishing as you are. (gets up at 3 to go fishing and pulls his own weight. there might be some training involved from you to begin with but in the end it will be worth while)

So in a nutshell If can be avoided to fish alone do avoid it as far as possible. Anyway its always a better day when you do catch the big one, you have a witness and can show the people at home some pictures.

Regards
Malboer
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Go for it... Just take all the necessary precautions w.r.t. to safety of yourself and your craft.

Practicing re-mounts is an excellent idea, but just remember if you and your craft are separated in a strong current or high wind, then you are most likely going to have to swim to shore and ditch the idea of being able to 'catch' your craft, unless of course you were tethered.

Personal fitness and knowing your limits is vital, not to mention being honest with yourself about how far, how deep, how long, etc.

::tight:
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Predator... Here's an link to a brilliant discussion we had on Sealine a few years ago... Well worth the read... http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=66009&forum_id=26&highlight=NSRI
 

Attachments

  • P1130011 (Copy).JPG
    P1130011 (Copy).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 381

TAITO

New member
Go for it,leave your estimated out time with someone and have all the correct safety stuff.I usually keep it shorter when alone.
 

Fredster

Senior Member
there's a saying "there are old skippers and there are bold skippers, but there are no old, bold skippers"
I think its relevant to us also. Estuary /river is one thing - sea another altogether.
Regarding paddling at sea and fishing, my advice would be to paddle with other experienced guys until you have sufficient experience to be able to answer the question for yourself. Conditions that may be safe for some may also be downright dangerous for others. You need to understand the risks, which you will only understand from experience, in order to make an educated call about going out alone in X conditions. There is no substitute for experience. If i launch in the bay under glass-off conditions, or the wildside in a brisk breeze and full-moon tide - my ski is rigged the same, i carry the same safety stuff, and i always wear a pfd, without exception.
Brazen overconfidence and a bullet-proof mentality will come back to bite you.
Taito's answer is also correct for his circumstances, however he has alot of experience and understands the risks and the sea locally.
Anyway, just my opinion, regards F
 

Muddie

New member
Hi- Just one thing when you go out alone, keep to the return time and place, full charged cell phone and please insure you are tethered to your Kayak. Most fatal kayak
accidents could have been prevented by a tethered line.

Easy to make and easy to apply.
 

jpfish

New member
Go it alone if you know the water and conditions well. Always have safety equipment and pfd is a must. Swimming well is good, problem is in strong currents even a good swimmer gets tired and will need a pfd to keep him afloat. I have done the alone thing and there is always other craft on the water. I make sure they know i am around and keep an eye on wind conditions, if the weather indicates offshore wind i stick close to shore. If the wind conditions indicate onshore i will stay out further and return to shore when ti becomes uncomfortable to fish. I have now installed the new app entering my departure and estimated return, also my float plan. Extra safety equipment seems like a shlep but you cant go wrong having more than specified. You dont have to fear the sea, but respect it you must.
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Fredster wrote:
there's a saying "there are old skippers and there are bold skippers, but there are no old, bold skippers"... There is no substitute for experience. If i launch in the bay under glass-off conditions, or the wildside in a brisk breeze and full-moon tide - my ski is rigged the same, i carry the same safety stuff, and i always wear a pfd, without exception.

Excellent!!! ((goodp_
 

Malgas

Senior Member
Hi Predator, my advice is don't go it alone! (These are guys with long hours at sea -"old manne van die see" advising you). You may have done the drills, and that's great. Whilst there's an option to go with other guys take it, and I think guys have offered and will be happy for you to join them in the Bay. Once you have had a few wild West wind blow outs and bailed a bit then you can make a judgement call -but rather be patient.

Went out this weekend at Cape Recife - easy out on the high tide but coming in on the spring low hectic swell had picked up a couple of hundred meters out and 3 out of 4 of us bailed and had long swims back in with the skis just out of reach -as the swell moved them along. I had forgotten what its like to swim so far with a paddle in one hand and my sponge in the other(I have no idea why I thought it was so important to rescue my sponge!!lol). The pdf and track shoes (essential for the shallow reef there)add to the drag and combine with the surge pulling you back each time. I am sure we would have all made it in fairly easily with or without others but it was nice to have one guy afloat and watching out for us.....
 

Hylton

New member
I paddle alone regularly, fortunately I know the area quite well and have a safe launch site that makes getting onto the water quite easy. I always give my wife an estimated time of return and will keep a cell phone with me at all times.

PFD is a no brainer! Tether to the ski, not really but my paddle is leashed. I also have a habit of paddling over to any boats in the area and saying hi so they know I am around.

I think if you have the confidence to be able to handle the ski in most conditions, are as prepared as possible for any situation, know when to call it quits and are not trying to paddle to australia you should be fine.
 

Malgas

Senior Member
Hi guys Fredster sent me what looks like a great Ap -especially for those who go out on their own. RSA SafeTrx, its free and links with your local NSRI. You can load your details, even a pic of your ski and it tracks you every few minutes. Only thing is if you forget or stay out longer than your ETA then it calls out the cavalry! ( As far as I can see-anyway).So you have to be sure of your time back and remember to log in on return. Good back-up for the disciplined- otherwise NSRI will be VERY happy when they find you sipping a cold one at Mahogany Reef!?
 
Top