do spoons work in dirty water?

OFC

Sealiner
@ Allan, thanx for the info! will def take my GT icecreams with this avie!!!

@Bennie, my father-in-law was using a "pro troll echip" bass lure yesterday with me! this thing has got ratllers and what they call the "Echip" inside that is supposed to give of elect signals when shaken! it has an amazing action in the water and swims at about 1m deep! but still he pulled it right past the fish and nothing nada! i realy think that it just came down to 2 thing! 1st our lures did not resemble baitfish in the area 2de water too dirty (mix between riverwater and peasoup colour) but i stand to be corrected!!

p.s - we had good results at Midmar two weeks ago with the Pro-Troll lure! out of about 20 people fishing for bass, we were the only ones that landed fish! 3 between us!
 

kitefisher

Sealiner
Bennie,I am sure it will get the job done,the only problem I can foresee is casting distance,but that is also easily overcome with superlines and a grinder.The shape and size of blade obviously plays a role in the retrieving speed/resistance. I take it,it is a Tiger-fish lure. 

My bad, I did'nt read that you said its a bass-lure.
 

strandloper

Senior Member
@ Bennie,

They do work in the salt. I have used them in the US on sea trout and redfish and with limited success in ZA taking sea pike in Durban harbour.

Something I tried last year was to remove the blade and replace the hook with a big salt water fly (lefty's deceiver tied on a 2/0). That gives you the opportunity to cast a fly quite a distance.
Only tried it twice and the result was small shad and a smash up ( I suspect a king)

@Kitefisher,

They are used for tigers locally, but they originated in Europe and are used for catching many predatory species including massive pike.

check out their website: http://www.konger.pl/en/start/aktualnosci
 

kitefisher

Sealiner
Just bear in mind that the needle-nose plugs,need a bit faster retrieve than chissel-nose plugs,to stay on the surface,I know that Kingies and garrick can swim a lot faster than what you can retrieve with any ratio reel,but sometimes they seem to weigh up the amount of energy spent against the size of meal,lol, (or so it feels,nogal as if they can think)

That is when a slightly slower chissel-nose will work better than say a needle-nose.


@Strandloper,cheers for the info,yip,they seem to catch anything that moves,or rather swims,lol I've seen them hanging from a few Tiger's mouths hence the association,unfortunately I was never holding the rod when the pic was taken,(mind you its about time I put an end to that ,isnt it,lol just never got round to the Tiger thing)
 

strandloper

Senior Member
@Kitefisher,

You MUST try the tigers.

I had the pleasure of taking a few in Zim and Jozini, nothing big though.

When they are on it is probably as much fun as taking small GT's on plug! Just a pity that I have to drive almost as far to fish for them than to do some saltwater fishing and then the ocean wins the contest every time!
 

ZANAIDOR

New member
Just a suggestion, will glow tape pasted on the v section of the spoon help when the visibility is poor in the water.

Regards

Rajen
 

OFC

Sealiner
@ Rods, not yet boet! have not been out again! but hopefully if the wind drops a bit by this avie i'll go have a gooi again! the water looks good!

@Zanaidor, the bullet spoon i was using has glow tape on the one side and for me it did not work in the dirty water! but chadman said he had some luck with it!!!
 
Top