circle hooks

slater

New member
Guys,

 

I tried a circle hook for the first time the other day. I couldnt bait up as easily as with a normal hook. All the bait demos and books seem to focus on the normal hooks. Any pictures of baiting up a sardine/ chokka bait with circle hooks.

Any advice?

thanks

 

Guys
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Slater, Mantis did an article a few months ago about how to use a Circle on bait... search his posts and I'm sure you'll find it. Another way I was taught is to make the bait up completely and then only insert the hook through the side of the bait once the bait is completed... ie under the cotton...
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Shees I think a lot of guys are taking strain with the current economical climate... more work, less play!
:(
 

Finnseeker

Senior Member
[color="#006600"]slater[/color] wrote:
Guys,

 

I tried a circle hook for the first time the other day. I couldnt bait up as easily as with a normal hook. All the bait demos and books seem to focus on the normal hooks. Any pictures of baiting up a sardine/ chokka bait with circle hooks.

Any advice?

thanks

 

Guys
Okay - congrats on using circle hooks and trying them, I have been fishing them exclusively for 11 years now and seen my hook up ratio increase up to 98%.

There are several , methods and ways to rig up circle hooks and I will try help you with some methods here, I have serveral video's on how to as well .

I will finish off with posting the scientific data for you on J hooks vs circle hook study  on the success ratio and survivability.

I will try post directly from my tournament website  how to rig methods hope it works, let me know and I will try do seperate post for you breaking it down for you.
circle-hook-rigging.htm
 

Finnseeker

Senior Member
circle-hook-rig-step-1.jpg


Shoot me an e-mail I cant seem to paste my text here dont know why, will take me hrs to write again sorry. Its a step by step description how to with pictures.
 

Finnseeker

Senior Member
[align=left]CIRCLE HOOK RIGGING FOR MARLIN AND BILLFISH

One Method Of Circle Hook Rigging
#8/0 Eagle Claw L2004EL Circle Hook
8 Piece of Monel
80lb - 100lb. Mono Leader
Ballyhoo

Today more than ever Sport fishing crews around the world are utilizing circle hooks in an effort to decrease potential risk to fish while practicing catch and release. Arguably the circle hook may not only be less harmful to released fish but the hook up percentage when utilized properly may be higher.

Step 1
To begin (assuming you already have a leader ready), Twist the monel onto the circle hook as shown in the picture below.

Very important: twist the wire leaving just enough room so that the loop around the hook slides freely but unable to slip off the hook completely.

circle-hook-rig-step-1.jpg

Step 2
Place the circle hook as per picture up against the broken off ballyhoo bill. Place the twisted monel under the bill. Take the end of the monel, poking downward; pierce the center flap or mouth from the top. The monel is now facing down when pulled through. Next, run the monel behind the gill plate over the head and behind the other gill plate. Now take the monel and pierce under the chin upward through the center flap or mouth and finish with tight wraps around the bill.

circle-hook-rig-step-2.jpg


Step 3
The finished circle hook rig. This method will allow the bait to skip and swim.

circle-hook-rig-step-3.jpg



Guatemalan Circle Hook Rigs

How To Rig with Circle Hooks Video
Materials:
1. 8/0 Eagle Claw Circle Hook
2. 130lb. Barrel Swivel
3. 20lb Monel – 15in.
4. 1/2oz Egg Sinker
5. Ice Pick

Instructions:
1. Remove the eyes from the ballyhoo.
2. Trim the bill.
3. Take your 15in of monel and do a series of haywire twist around the barrel swivel.
4. Using the ice pick, put a hole on the top of the ballyhoo just in front of the eyes.
5. Thread your monel, with the barrel swivel on top, through the top of the head bringing the monel out between the 2 gill plates.
6. Pop the swivel into the head of the ballyhoo.
7. Install the 1/2oz egg sinker into the monel and dead center the sinker underneath the ballyhoo’s throat.
8. Take the monel and come around the gill plates. Pass the tag end of the monel through the eves 3 times. Secure and pull tight after each pass.
9. Take the tag end monel and insert it from the lower jaw through the top lip creating what would normally be your post.
10. Rap the mouth shut and clip of bill off.
11. Insert the circle hook into the eye of the swivel.

[/align]
 

Reefman

Sealiner
C'mon Bob... read the thread dude... LOL - Check out post #3... gives a good link on how to use Circles for Rock and surf.
 

Finnseeker

Senior Member
varios methods of rigging ballyhoo and see the hookset in the corner of the mouth
 

Attachments

  • Ballyhoo circle hook 2.jpg
    Ballyhoo circle hook 2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 768
Top