circle hook slide trace

Brendon C

I understand yeah.big fish gonna swallow the bait whole.just looks funny rigging a massive bait with only one hook at the top.maybe long baits would use 2

Occie

Sealiner
Brendon C wrote:
I understand yeah.big fish gonna swallow the bait whole.just looks funny rigging a massive bait with only one hook at the top.maybe long baits would use 2

I dont really mind with a big bait,I always just use a single 20/0 becuase if I send out a big bait im expecting something big enough to atleast take the whole bait in its mouth.When going for smaller fish I go for two circles but exclusivly for mackerel and squid.With smaller sharks they dont always swollow the whole bait. It also adds a bit of extra rigidity to a soft bait like a smaller mackerel to.

Its probably all in my head put its just what i prefer with these two baits.

@ Enigma that is quite a interesting question, I havent actually looked at which hook gets the hookup normally.

Dave Batista

Sealiner
Hey guys just thought I'd add a picture of my slide traces, just made them today. About 1m of 440lb (49 strand)steel cable used for each slide and the slide on the left has a 19/0 eagle claw circle and the trace on the right has a 13/0 eagle claw circle hook. I make my own slides so I have a 3/0 power swivel and have tied a fig 8 knot in the steel then secured the tag end with a aluminum crimp and then added heat shrink for some extra protection and bling.

Attachments

• DSCN0069_1400x1050.jpg
    DSCN0069_1400x1050.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 381

Occie

Sealiner
Howsit Dave nice looking traces busy making some myself as well at the moment.Just a warning that aluminium crimps are actually meant only for mono as they will cause quite rapid corrosion when used with steal.

Dave Batista

Sealiner
I would of thought that an aluminum crimp would not corrode regardless,but even if it does that fig 8 knot that I tied ain't slipping. I must say one thing I'm never ever gonna use carbon coated steel ever again ,I payed R2p/m for this steel cable and it's 440lb's what a bargain.

Occie

Sealiner
Well I wont be to worried about the tag end slipping but more to what its doing to ur main steal trace.I rather use brace or copper.You cant really see whats going on underneath the crimp so dont really want to take the chance but each to his own I suppose.

Here is a helpfull link to everything you should know about crimping.It was posted a while back by another member but cant seem to find the post anywhere.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html