CarpBusters

Ryan

Sealiner
http://www.carpbusters.com

Check these guys out......................................

Maybe some of our dams in SA need some of this action towards invasive aleins....................

Eish me thinks we would have full out war in SA if they were to come here...............................................

What thinks you?

Hooked

They tried to remove the carp and barbel from Voelvlei dam to save the bass , didnt work , now days the arnt an art lure club anymore but a pap gooi club:)

Ancient One

What does it take to be classed as a "local" as opposed to an "invasive alien"? Carp, Bass and Trout have been our end of this planet for 'round 100 years! If the Carp were wiped out, how many jobs in the industry would be lost, how many tackle shops would shut down and how many fewer okes would go fishing? Me - I say live and let live and let's go catch 'em and enjoy all of 'em!

G

Ai jai jai,

Just strange that Carp Anling is the only world cup fishing event held. And this year it is in SA. Strange how he American also have different views - check this out : http://www.americancarpsociety.com/

GTZA

Banned
It's really "indigenous" vs "alien". Local refers to site. The issue is not whether a species is alien or not. Many aliens are useful and essential. Just think of lettuce and mutton etc. The issue is really whether the alien species can become invasive and whether the "invasive" spread causes harm to the environmental or human health.

It's true that Americans also have different views - even on 9/11. Perhaps the different views on invasive species is reflective of the NIMBY phenomenon?

Ancient One

The debate can go on forever. The practicality of it is that fish, animals, plants and birds that have been in a country for an extended period of time will not be eradicated. Any number of examples around - Mynah bird, Lantana plant, Carp, Bass and Trout. I agree that the three fish species should not have their range expanded, but how do you eliminate them? This is a problem that has been faced - over one species or another - world wide and not resolved. Short of rotenoneing every body of water that contains non indeginous fish, they ain't going away! Practical side - these species are responsible for the bulk of fresh water angling effort in this country, therefore the bulk of revenue to all involved in the industry. Remove them and you virtually destroy a productive, job creating industry.

GTZA

Banned
Sure Ancient One, and the debate has been raging forever. Nobody is proposing the total eradication of any species within SA - yet! What the various initiatives are all about is the (partial) removal and local (site limited) eradication of species and specimens to within levels concomitant with responsible environmental management.

But please do not be too complacent in the view that a species cannot be entirely eradicated. We now have biotechnology techniques available to us that can achieve precisely that at relatively low cost. These techniques are already applied successfully elsewhere and many countries are already involved in projects to eradicate alien invasives where it was previously considered impossible. One of the most ambitious is the eradication of the invasive European rabbit in Australia by making use of a natural disease, an initiative causing great concern in Europe where the rabbit is endemic and threatened. And this does not even begin to tap the vast potential of inbred species-specific diseases and inheritable congenital diseases that can be developed through application of gene transfer technology.

G

Eradication of alien fish species will leave the freshwater angler with ... um yellows, talapia and catfish?

oh oh wait papierbekke - a briliant fish to catch !!! I always break my back fighting a papierbek.

G

....I have found that a few nice cold ones is enough to keep me ankered to my "fighting" chair when playing a papierbek.