Went to Brookwood Trout Farm yesterday. Arrived at 06.20 and been my 1st time wasn't to sure which dam to fish for carp. After seeing the Trout fishing only, no live bait signs at the top 3 dams, I headed down to the biggest dam at the bottom where the sign says, Carp, Barbel, bream.
Me and my mate baited up, rods on the tri-pods, alarms set and had a sandwich and coffee. My mate used diff flavors floaties with dough backing. I opted for miellie pips with dough backing.
My mate had action within 5 mins, policemen bobbing quit fast up and down, me thinks, that’s not carp or either a very small one maybe. This action went on for about 15 mins with no take?
I fish with 6.3kg line and my drag is set 1/3 of the total line weight breakage, so I know the line won't just sommer go "pop" when get a take. All of sudden my alarm screamed and the run was so fast the 2tone alarmed made 1 sound only as if its having a seizure.
Vas goes the bait runner, picked up my rod and wow!! it was pulling so fast I struggled to keep the rod up, run lasted about 5 sec before I heard the dreaded "POP" sound and my line just snapped!
I didn't think to release the drag a bit as it all happened so fast before I got smoked!
Not too sure how to set my drag anymore as the clearly the 1/3 I set wasn't working?
My mate had action again, and been relatively new to fishing asked me to take it, line went straight, no run and I "kap", fish on, but what? Not a carp for sure, weird swimming action and suddenly the fish went airborne DAMN IT’S a SMOKIE (TROUT)
What the H... is trout doing in the carp dam? It’s no release policy on any trout caught and going rate is R85@KG. The watchmen were heading towards me now, and I got the fish in the net, then took it out and accidently lost my grip on the fish and bam, it went back into the water and swam away
So beware of the trout in the big dam if you using floaties and targeting Carp only, you will get a trout and the line!
We were then told that there's another dam across the bridge with Carp and Barbel only. We moved there but had no luck the rest of the day! It’s very small but the owner told us there's Carp between 10-22kg's there?
I will be back; the monster that smoked me has my name on it!
Just sum info I wanted to share!
Me and my mate baited up, rods on the tri-pods, alarms set and had a sandwich and coffee. My mate used diff flavors floaties with dough backing. I opted for miellie pips with dough backing.
My mate had action within 5 mins, policemen bobbing quit fast up and down, me thinks, that’s not carp or either a very small one maybe. This action went on for about 15 mins with no take?
I fish with 6.3kg line and my drag is set 1/3 of the total line weight breakage, so I know the line won't just sommer go "pop" when get a take. All of sudden my alarm screamed and the run was so fast the 2tone alarmed made 1 sound only as if its having a seizure.
Vas goes the bait runner, picked up my rod and wow!! it was pulling so fast I struggled to keep the rod up, run lasted about 5 sec before I heard the dreaded "POP" sound and my line just snapped!
I didn't think to release the drag a bit as it all happened so fast before I got smoked!
Not too sure how to set my drag anymore as the clearly the 1/3 I set wasn't working?
My mate had action again, and been relatively new to fishing asked me to take it, line went straight, no run and I "kap", fish on, but what? Not a carp for sure, weird swimming action and suddenly the fish went airborne DAMN IT’S a SMOKIE (TROUT)
What the H... is trout doing in the carp dam? It’s no release policy on any trout caught and going rate is R85@KG. The watchmen were heading towards me now, and I got the fish in the net, then took it out and accidently lost my grip on the fish and bam, it went back into the water and swam away
So beware of the trout in the big dam if you using floaties and targeting Carp only, you will get a trout and the line!
We were then told that there's another dam across the bridge with Carp and Barbel only. We moved there but had no luck the rest of the day! It’s very small but the owner told us there's Carp between 10-22kg's there?
I will be back; the monster that smoked me has my name on it!
Just sum info I wanted to share!