Bronze spoon

AD97

Senior Member
Hey guys I know they catch Kob on bronze spoons at night by retrieving slowly along the bottom. Is it possible to do this in the day?
 

Magicactus

New member
AD

Yes a bronze or copper spoon works if the water is a peasoupish after a day or two of a Northeaster. I often use one early in the morning just after sunrise pulled in fairly slowly though a gully.

Good luck
 

AD97

Senior Member
Thanks Magicatus, I see that you are from Grahamstown, do you fish Cannon Rocks often?, we got a holiday home there- come down often as we can. I want to use a small bronze spoon on my dropshot rod and then a slightly bigger one for my new scratching stick, when we fish off our boat in the Bushmans we always sit at this hole upriver during the day and the smaller Kob can be wild, great fun on light tackle using bait, I really want to catch one on spoon. The water at this spot is usually quite brown so would a bronze spoon be worth it Magicatus?
 

Magicactus

New member
I fished at Cannons yesterday and got a 62cm kob on octopus but had a few shot with spoon, the water was unbelievably clean and warm. Bait was requested on the menu more than spoons.

As for spoon in the bushmans I don't see why they shouldn't work. Aslo for Bushmans get yourself some small 3/4oz-1oz plugs and you will have great time with small garrick for your dropshot outfit if you get fed with trying to catch kob.

I was 3km up the Kariega last weekend and got a small one on a normal spoon but this time of year they seem to prefer bait. Jan,Feb, Mar maybe better as the water wll be dirtier from the rains. Another option is at Fish Mouth from the Bats Cave Side, throw into the dirty water and retrieve quite slowly into the clean water. This has worked well  in the past.

Hope this helps
 

AD97

Senior Member
Thanks Magicatus, this info is awesome. I have always wanted to catch a Garrick, but I dont know if they will be as far up as we fish, we go about 6-8K's up cause of the flippin skiers and idiots who drive at a million k's an hour all the way along the river in December. I have no problem with them skiing, we tube sometimes but they never stick to their zones. They have got absolutely no respect for the fishermen.


Where at Cannons did you catch the Kob?, I have caught a few at the big grass carpark that over looks the sea past the Caravan Park. In July got my PB Blacktail of 31cm and my first Silver(White Musslecraker) was about 75cm, all caught on Sandprawn.
 

Magicactus

New member
We were about 300m past the wreck or whats left of it walking towards Bokness.

Last year a mate of mine managed to hook a skiboat and was stripped in 3 seconds flat and his rod did a bit of skiing before the line broke. Summertime on those rivers is chaos so we go up to the causeway on the Kariega and Ghaiya Bridge on the bushmans on a full high which is about 2-2.5 hours after the beach high. Small plugs and pinkie livebait are the choices for garrick all around the 40-50cm mark.

Conservation guys are around and do ask for licences though. Under both bridges early morning is aslo good before the boats start racing around.

We do however tend to shy away from those areas during season, there are plenty other quiet spots far from the maddening crowd.

Call when you are area and we can show you around a bit.
 
Top