Braid ratings

I have been wondering for a while, if braid is rated by its knot strenth then what knot are the manufactures using and are they all using the same knot so as to have a standred.Any one have any input because different knots are better than others so different breaking points.
 

fannie

Banned
Actually braid is rated by it's breaking strength. Most braids, and especially the spider wire (my favourite) are very snotty, so you have to make a decent knot.

Tbh, I can't remember any breakages on the knots. Had some traces break or bitten off or obstackles cutting the line.

I favour making a loop in the end of my braid. It doubles the line there and I can quick change lures or traces without having to re-knot each time.

When this part gets white and show signs of wear, cut off and retie. For fresh water I sometimes swap line ends if the cast end gets all white. This way the used end is on the spool and you have as new line to fish with.

I was going to say the cast end is about 150m but you weren't going to believe me so...
 

Enigma

Moderator
If you do a search you'll find an myriad of tests and recommendations

Each of the braids has it's own ups and downs but in general (and confirmed by manufacturers) braid loses 30-40% of it's breakin strenght when knotted so 50lbs becomes 30lbs and 80lbs 65lbs

Unless it's berkley whiplash which tests the best in all tests done..

Way to much information on this topic to repeat so a quick search will give you all the answers you need
 
Top