Boskop dam

Doringboom

New member
Hi Guys

Me and some mates want to visit Boskop Dam on the first weekend of November 2012. I have been trying very hard to make the transition to specimen angling with very little success over the past two years. So to get right to the point, is Boskop a dam to be considered at this time of year and if so can anyone perhaps give some pointers please?

Thanks in advance.
 

GP_Angler

New member
Hi Doringboom

Are you referring to Boschkop on the Vaal Dam?

I this is the dam, I was there last week. And fish that dam very often.

To date I can safely say that Boilies and Tigernuts.....does not truly work. I have MUCH more success with traditional mielies or even floaties. I have taken lines in from 200m, 250m, 300m, 350m. Left lines in for 48 hours, with no luck.

My definition of specimen fishing is to take good care of the fish, and the guidelines on sealine and others provide awesome advise.

I would hopefully fish Boschkop again in 2 weeks time. BTW, my mate and I caught 11 fish during our overnight trip (only 1 carp caught at night, 1kg).

Good luck on your trip
 

Doringboom

New member
Hi GP_Angler

Thank you for the response, it's Boskop in North West. Never the less, the info is valuable to me as I love fishing the Vaaldam. I have also yet to catch a fish on a boillie, I had some success with tiger-nuts in the past but not great either.

I am considering making my own bollies instead of buying; maybe it will be the difference. Is there any of the other anglers who knows if home made vs. bought boillies makes a diffrence?
 

HennieB

Sealiner
Homemade or shelf-life boilies aren't the problem but rather in the way you apply it. You can't expect to catch a fih using a single boilie as hookbait and some mieliebom as bait. Carp will also seek out better quality baits. Concerning the Vaaldam and specimen fishing, in my opinion it's a waste of time.
 

Doringboom

New member
Hi Hennie

Thanks for the response, its highly appreciated. My understanding of fishing boillies is as follows:

Bait your hair rig with boillies, and throw one or two hands of bollies in the area where your bait is. Alliteratively use a PVA bag filled with boillies attached to your hook or hair rig.

For Boskop dam in North west which will be my next session in two weeks I plan to do the following.

1) Cook crushed maize and hemp and feed around a marker.
2) Bait with boillies and throw a couple of hands in the same area as the hemp and the crushed maize.
3) Alternately try a hemp cluster on my second my rod.

As usual any comments are more than welcome.


Regards
 
Top