Bite Me Jigs anyone used these?

nicos

Senior Member
I've bought some from Matambo in Sodwana after a local skipper suggested them to catch bait on those days when the bait just don't bite... and they work.
 

sparky

Senior Member
hey super fly , i have used the small spoon quite a bit off the ski ,i think its called the sprat spoon & it works well for bonnies & most the smaller kingfish species like bluefin & bigeyes. lekker little spoons
 

Reefman

Sealiner
SuperFly wrote:
Colours that work best?

Used these 2 colours in Kilwa... got nailed by GT's and Jobfish. The Chartreuse one glows in the dark and had a few good fish when things were quiet... check out the bite marks.

 
 

Attachments

  • JIGS.jpg
    JIGS.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 197

Reefman

Sealiner
Yup, those scars always bring back good memories!

Just had a look at the first post here... 18g jigs! I think they're called Sprat Jigs??

The ones in my pic are 180g Butterfly jigs!!  Sorry about that...
 

neilg

Sealiner
I have quite few in my possession, basically the whole range, but not every single colour.

Haven't used them yet, but they do look very good.
 

nicos

Senior Member
SuperFly wrote:
Colours that work best?

I'm sure they all work, I've used the top one in your pic and the bright green one. They weigh almost nothing so you need to take your light dropshot rod with you to be able to cast them. Only problem is that you end up having so much fun catching bait on light tackle that you get distracted from doing propper fishing - you will know what I'm talking about when you've landed a few decent size bonnies on 6lb tackle.
 

GENO77

New member
How does one rig and use these? Does it have a single hook at the back? Do you cast it and retrieve it like you would a small spoon or small swimming lure?
 

neilg

Sealiner
nicos wrote:
Only problem is that you end up having so much fun catching bait on light tackle that you get distracted from doing propper fishing
I know exactly what you talking about, alot of fun and then you leave the heavier tackle.

I experience it over and over again.
 

GENO77

New member
Neil. I had a look at the link posted (did not notice it before). Does the jig rotate like the a gyro jig or is the hook facing down? If it is facing down did you change yours like you did with the onda's?
 

WalkersKiller

Senior Member
I have the red and white bite me jig and caught some small shad and kob in the estuary where i fish... they do work... not at night though!
 

nicos

Senior Member
GENO77 wrote:
Neil. I had a look at the link posted (did not notice it before). Does the jig rotate like the a gyro jig or is the hook facing down? If it is facing down did you change yours like you did with the onda's?

They come with a split ring so you can do whatever you want with the hook I guess. Also, so people can understand how tiny they really are, here's a pick to put it in perspective (no I don't smoke giant sized Marlboro's):

 
 

Attachments

  • IMG00181-20091105-1525.jpg
    IMG00181-20091105-1525.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 117

GENO77

New member
Thanks for the info Nicos. What do these lures retail for? We are going to Moz soon and I am looking for something in this class for the Bonnies and Snoek. Had a look on their site and 35g Herring spoon also looks nice.
 

nicos

Senior Member
I am speaking under correction, but they were in the range of R20 to R30 when I got them in Soddies (where everything is expensive). I reckon yo ucan get them for half the price.
 

AD97

Senior Member
WalkersKiller wrote:
I have the red and white bite me jig and caught some small shad and kob in the estuary where i fish... they do work... not at night though!

Bru do you Jig in the Kariega??? or do you use that jig like a spoon or a Onda?
 
Top