Best Fishfinders for estuary fishing

tkbaby

Hi Everyone

Hoping someone is able to provide some advice. I have a riverboat that I fish with in a tidal river. Although I am able to use it on different rivers I generally stay fishing on the river that I have house access to.

I am wanting to add a fish finder. I am trying to decide firstly if side imagine is worth my while if I am only using it in a tidal river. Any commentys on that?

The side imaging units I have been considering are:

Lowrance Hook2 7x Tripleshot or the 5 inch version which comes with charts (which I surely don't need). I can get this device for about R5 500 from Australia (brother heading over here) but warranty will not be honoured in SA. In SA I can get it for R7 200 and warranty is one year on transducer, three years on head unit and upgrade within 5 years to new unit for discounted price, if due to unit failure.

Garmin Striker Plus 7 SV. Can get it from Australia for about R6 000. Full international warranty for one year.

So is side imaging that useful in a tidal river? Mainly fish for kob and spottie on the river, both bait and lures, also trolling.

Its not a massive river, deepest point about 7 metres and widest point about 50m or maybe more.

If anyone can advise firstly if SI will be useful in my situation and then on the about units if it will be. If not useful, what would you recommend instead? I would still want an internal GPS on whichever fishfinder I get.

Thanks

rivers are much calmer
so side image would work great in this regard.

normally a fish finder is used to locate bottom and structure.
so 200khz is normally used.
now with side scan, it is much better.
so do go for it. it will allow you to see structure and we all know that fish like using structure.

tkbaby

willem wikkel spies wrote:
rivers are much calmer
so side image would work great in this regard.

normally a fish finder is used to locate bottom and structure.
so 200khz is normally used.
now with side scan, it is much better.
so do go for it. it will allow you to see structure and we all know that fish like using structure.

Thanks so much! Any comments on the specific finders I listed?

Hi

I have the garmin but the 5inch one. I am pleasantly surprised by the unit and for the price it is absolutely super. Only drawback is not mapping. I you want this the Lowrance will be better suited.

tkbaby

which 5 inch one does sidevu? is it one of the mapped ones?

Also, is mapping needed when I am only fishing rivers?

Sorry my mistake the 5 only has DV and no SI. Maps are only handy if you don't know whats going on, and I suppose in rivers the bottom changes as the river flow does.

I have only worked with Lowrance so cannot comment on the garmin.

I have seen the Lowrance side image and it looks good.
just take note, there are many fish finders and models.
so rather spend some more and get a proper system.
you will not regret it.

as long as you get a after sales service!!!

at the end of the day

tkbaby

I have decided to go with a Lowrance Hook2 7x Tripleshot, without the maps. Its a bit more pricey than me getting the Garmin from Australia, but I found a really good price for it in SA, and the warranty is really good. three years on the head unit and 1 or 2 years on tripleshot transducer.

Thanks for all your input guys. I will probably get it and install it and test it in a month's time.

Thanks again