Berkley Cobalt blue rod?

Fredster

Senior Member
Hi im more at home in the paddle ski section, which is most of the fishing i do. I'm looking at this rod for spinning (and maybe a little bait) in Algoa Bay. Not into the whole r&s thing tho. It is 9 ft spinning, throws 1-3oz, rated for braid around 20-50 lbs i think. Is this the right kind of rod? i also looked at the exage 8ft 100-150g spinning rod but i think its too heavy. I can pair it to spheros 8000 or exceler oceano 4500 or exceller 4000. I already have a 6'6" clarus for lighter stuff and estuaries. Any advice welcomed, i'm still kicking this one around and don't want to make a mistake if i do buy. Thanks guys
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
I have not seen this rod before so I can not really comment.

You can also have a look at the 9ft Shakespeare Ugly Srick xx heavy 9ft rod.

I have used it with my 8000 Stradic or 4000 Stardic, it cast a 2 ounce spoon a mile and has good back bone to handle fish and it sells for around R450.00

Tight lines
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
Rods wrote:
Hi Gerhard. What does the Ugly Stick sell for?

Fishing Pro Shop in Pta sell them for R450.00

They will ship it to you as well if you are not able to pick it up in Pta.

Talk to Charles Steward or Johan Wessels 012 809 3334

tell them I told you about the rod.

Here is a couple of photos of the rod in action

http://sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=30849&forum_id=25
 

Fredster

Senior Member
@Gerhard, thanks for the input, some awsome pics on the referred thread. i haven't seen the ugly stik around PE, but will def look further into that - at less than half the price of the berkley, i can'y afford not to... Whats it rated at in terms of line and throw weight? would you say the 2oz you're throwing be the max? thanks again, F
 

neilg

Sealiner
Fredster

go make a turn by Commercial Marine, they have a good selection of rods, if they don't have something in stock they can always order it for you, that's if you're willing to wait for it.

Remember, the most expensive isn't always the best.

For spinning off a kayak I would personally limit length to 8ft.

Personally, I would take the Exage 8ft, that's one amazing rod ! And remember, you can throw 2 and 3oz with it.
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Thanx for the input Neil,

I'm sorted on the kayak side of things, this is intended for spinning/ artificials  (and maybe a bit of bait) from the side in the Bay. i actually saw the rod at CM, and it seemed like a good choice in terms of length (casting) & action and its throw weight & line rating. This is secondary to my ski fishing and i don't have much experience in this aspect, so i'm kinda assuming that this is the kind of spec rod i should be looking at; but would like to buy right first time and not sit with an expensive ornament.

thanx & regrds F 
 
Top