Basil Manning sells the Iron Candy range of spoons

Durran

Senior Member
Basil Manning sells the Iron Candy range of spoons and plugs, how productive have they been in producing fish?
 

Richard Ohagan

Senior Member
I have had some success with the white glow in the dark 2 oz bullet spoon, the garrick love them. some people say the paint comes off very quickly, I cant comment on that cos I seem to loose them before that happens, I have used the orange and white as well but dont get the same results.
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Durran, there was an article in some mag, can't remember which one, where the Blackfin team and Barry Wareham went up to Angola... they used the Iron Candy's exclusively... results were unbelievable!
 

steve m

Sealiner
Reefman wrote:
Durran, there was an article in some mag, can't remember which one, where the Blackfin team and Barry Wareham went up to Angola... they used the Iron Candy's exclusively... results were unbelievable!
i also read that Think it was fish magazine
 

Mike Pike

Sealiner
I've got a couple of them , have'nt had a chance to use them yet.... maybe i'll try them up at Kosi sometime....
9spiteful.gif
and see if they work. also bought mine based on the reviews about them being quiet effective. 
 

Andre Laas

Sealiner
I use them a lot, and the definitely do work!

My most success so far have been with the no 1 (15g) v-back in either the hot Orange (dirty water / very rough water) and the glow white in clearer, calmer conditions and when it is still dark / getting dark. This has accounted for shad, wave Garrick and even a small thread-fin (bastard) mullet.

Also used the bigger ones, no 2 and 3's, same colours, only got shad on them so far...... the Garrick, Natal snoek and kob is still eluding me.

As for the paint coming off easily. This is to some extend true especially fished in rocky areas, but few paint-jobs on lead will stand this. This however did not change my success on shad much, as there remained enough paint to attract attention. On the Sandy beaches they hold up fairly well, unless constantly dragged on the bottom for Kob, then the paint on the keel tend to rub off.

One thing that I do however feel is that we are being smoked in terms of the price that these, and most other spoons go for. But as has been said on many occasions before... we are the ones that are willing to pay these prices for things that work. Main reason why I started experimenting with my own..... If only times was not so few! 
 
Top