Art lures in Moz

gr

New member
Hi guys

Posted this earlier today but I didn'y get a reply yet 'cause I think I posted it in the wrong space. Still new to this site. It a good place nevertheless.

I'm going 40 km. past Xai-Xai in July with my family - wife and 2 boys and we are very excited to go cast some lures and do dropshot fishing on light tackle. Our (the boys and me) enthusiasm has rubbed off on my wife and she is keen to cast a lure into the sea.

I am packing an ultra light combo for her. 6' med action rod, approx. 3/4 - 1 oz. I know that pompano can be hunted in the surf area and I need to know what lures to get for her.

Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks people.  

 
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
gr,

Welcome to the site; for 3-spot pompano 1/4, 1/2 oz lead heads with 3" and 5" jerk shads although the rod rating of 3/4-1 oz is actually quite a stiff rod so you may be able to go up to a 1oz. McCarthy or Berkeley, my favorite color is pearl watermelon, but the silver gulps also work very well. McCarthy goldfish is also a good colour. I never go anywhere without my 3" pink squids and they are hands down the best lure for casting in the surf and around reef areas, just not sure if you will get them in SA.

leadheads010.jpg


leadheads008.jpg


You can also try SPRO bucktail jigs which are fairly durable and cast well.

Most important thing with both the lead heads and the bucktail jigs is to work them; a straight steady retrieve is not going to attract many strikes whereas a varied eratic whipping retrieve is deadly.
 

gr

New member
Hi Blaasoppie

Thanks a lot for the reply. I already have some spro's but will get some of the other plastics you've suggested.

Have a good day.
 
Top