Any Salties here on sealine? If yes where do you

kitefisher

Sealiner
Nepptune wrote:
Esatpil - Mate speak to Paul when you down on the South Coast and see what areas are working... All the KZN SC estuaries are worth a bash, but you need to put in plenty of hours... Izotcha River, Umtumvuna, Impenjati.... all will produce Rockies, Perch, Small Kingies and the odd Leerie, depending on time of year....

Also around the river mouths in the surf zones on the Snady beaches, you'll run into 3 Spot Pompano, Kingies and the likes, and gullies etc will deal up Kingies, Shad and others...

Its hard work, but rewarding.... you gotta put in alot of time and effort, but its very rewarding when it comes off...

Sound advice above,as for dodging the crowds,most holiday makers sleep late ,remember the sun is up on the East-coast (KZN South coast) at about 04h15-04h30,and more often than not, the wind is the most quiet it is going to be all day.

Fish any place you would dropshot, and you will be surprized to see that you dont need to cast a mile for your intended area.Use a basket if you like ,but a collapsible one gives you more mobility and movement.Hopefully the shad-season is open when you come,cos you could find plenty of those,like I said not necessarily far out.

If your'e a right-hander ,look for the bays and days that favour you,i.e the left leg of any gully to stand on when the N.Easter blows lightly,casting to the water on your r/hand-side when facing the water.If your'e not a lefty and not very adept at doing the back-cast ,then rather go holiday when the Westerly's blowing, even a mild one can drive a fly into the back of your head (floppy hats rule lol).

I personally think that drop-shotting has just about killed shore-based saltwater -flyfishing ,it is easier and also not so dependant on the wind.

p.s. I know what is recommended,and what is the best for the job,but ,many a shad has been caught on a regular 6-7 weight with floating freshwater weight forward line,(cheap to replace when you get back home and it shows signs of wear)and lastly dont underestimate the fun that you can have on wave-garrick(3-spot Pompano) right at your feet,if not even shallower,without any fancy stripping methods,just letting your fly bob around in the foam.

Enjoy. 

 
 

AviL

New member
thanks for the advice guys - much appreciate it!!! I will report anything that happens...hopefully all good!!!
 

strandloper

Senior Member
Esatpil,

Have done some flyfishing on the South Coast (Mainly Scottburgh)

Good spots include Scottburgh (gullies and holes in front of Caravan park all the way to Park Rynie)- great for Shad, small Kingies, Blacktail. Chratreuse clousers, gully fly, crazy charlies al work a charm!
Rocky Bay (Boulder Bay- Happy Wanderers). If you are up for some serious double hauling! Large deceivers and clousers, dogs breakfast, Blue, Chartreuse. Try the Bay in front of the train bridge - Yellowtail Kings (early evening), Boulder bay - same, also some nice big Shad in early morning.

If you get some low tide early morning, try Umdoni point. MUST BE LOW TIDE, otherwise it gets hectic up front near the ledge, but at a dead low with some Crazy Charlies there are some nice bonefish around.

I got two of 3 KG's a last year on a spring low, with some pink Crazy Charlies.

Happy Wanderers for shad early morning!?

Don't know the area further down towards margate well enough.

Have had a few casts a Prt Shepstone, with only a some small shad to show.

Hope it helps
 

TOE 007

Sealiner
we have been targeting the MONSTER LEERIES in zandvlei , hard venue to crack on fly , but the rewards are HUGE !!!!

i have done a fair bit of offshore flying , for tail.

and i have fished most of the rivers in southerncape !
 

strandloper

Senior Member
Esatpil,
If you don't mind travelling a bit one of your your trips try and get up north to Cape Vidal, St Lucia, Maphelane, Sodwana (Mabibi) and Kosi Bay.

I grew up in Zululand and we did a lot of fly fishing in from R Bay upwards. We could either spin or fly, no dropshot then.

You can do a trip from R Bay to Kosi and never have a dull day. From huge springer in R Bay to record size GT's in Kosi and anything in between.

One of my favourite spots on the Zululand coast is Sodwana, especially for fly fishing. I think you can still get to Mabibi (special permit) and that is one of the best places for some nice Kings!
Can go on for ages, but will keep quite as there are guys with way more experience that can add more.
 

AviL

New member
hi guys, just a question

Should I ask a question in a thread that hasn't moved for a while, do I get the replies or the guy that started the thread.

What I want to know is, do I start a new thread all over again with the same topic to get some answers directed at me???

Thanks

Avi
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
esatpil wrote:
Any Salties here on sealine?

If yes where do you guys fish in SA?

Dying to test my new kit end of this month when I am in SA

Hardy Zane 10 weight and Hardy Zane Reel

Guilty as charged.

Off shore from Durbs, Richards, Shelly & Vidal, Also Durban & Richards Harbour and Kosi Lakes/Bay, many other spots also.

FA
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
AviL wrote:
hi guys, just a question

Should I ask a question in a thread that hasn't moved for a while, do I get the replies or the guy that started the thread.

What I want to know is, do I start a new thread all over again with the same topic to get some answers directed at me???

Thanks

Avi
Ask away Avi.... Here or where ever you want.
 

AviL

New member
Hey FA

I want to fish fly in durban and the north coast...but I dont know where and what to use? I have a 6-7wt rod, intermed line. Can you possibly assist?

thanks

Avi
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
I use to do a lot of flyfishing when durban bay was still open for us... Now i go now and then in the surf of rocky shore line's and mess around with shad and small kingy's... I'v try'd my had at freshwater talapia,bass, baber and scaylie'z but i dont get to the fresh water that often.... I have a Sh!T load of fly set up's that are just waiting to be use'd... I think i should get back in to it though...
 
Top