Advice please - Saragosa or Sustain for Aerocast

Fishnuts

New member
Hi All

I am in need of some advice. I am off to Linene next week and am in need of a reel to match with my Aerocast 270XH (9ft) for light/medium spinning and popping etc both from the shore and from a boat. Going through the forums already posted, I figure I should be getting a reel in the 5000 range using 30lb braid but cant decide between the Saragosa and Sustain. I have heard ( and read) that the Saragosa's are more robust than the Sustains. However I must admit that the fact that the Sustain comes with 2 spools is attractive because I could always fit the second spool with 14lb braid and use that for dropshot as well. 

Cheers 
 

Dexter

New member
Hi Fishnuts

I have the Sustain 5000 on an 8ft heavy rod. It is an awesome reel and more than strong enough! If you are going to be spinning or even light jigging I would go for the Sustain. The  Sustain's extra spool is a plus, the retrieve is a bit faster and the drag is stronger than the Saragosa in the 5000 model.

14lb fireline would be a good choice on the Sustain as its actual breaking strain is round about 30lb.

I am also looking at the Saragosa/Stradic, but in the 8000 for bottom fishing. IMO the Saragosa will be better for jigging etc. than spinning. But each to their own right?

Hope this helps.
Dex
 

jomac

Member
The sustain is faster 5.7:1 as opposed to the saragosa at 5.2:1, the sustain has a better drag at 25 pounds as opposed to the saragosa at 22 pounds, the sustain has 7+1 bearings as opposed to the saragosa which has 5+1 bearings. I have been looking at the two reels for a while now trying to decide between the two, I honestly feel that the sustain is a slightly better built reel for the applications you will be using it for, with regard to the braid may I also you have a look at power pro it is brilliant stuff, good luck for linene I hope it cooks for you, and if you need a ghillie im always available
 
Top