Advice needed on tackle for GT's

Dawie Ras

New member
I am going on a fly fishing trip to the Maldives in two week's time and need spinning gear as a back-up as I have a shoulder injury.  I need a rod, reel and braid to be able to cast plugs and jigs to GT’s.  What would you recommend?  The braid must be 40lb.  I would prefer a multi piece rod, if available, as my fly rods are all 4 piece units for easier travelling and a 2 piece spinning rod could be uncomfortable.
 

Marshie

Senior Member
Hi Dawie,  Where are you going?  I've just returned from Kani Island and the fishing was great.  Got three Gt's over 10 kilos on spinning tackle.

Are you fishing from shore?  If so, i'd recommend a berkley air 9ft, Shimano Sustain 5000 or 6000 with 50lb braid. 
 

werries

Senior Member
[u][i]Dawie Ras[/i][/u] wrote:   I would prefer a multi piece rod, if available, as my fly rods are all 4 piece units for easier travelling and a 2 piece spinning rod could be uncomfortable

 

Hi Dawie, there isnt a lot of spinning/dropshot rods that are 4 piece. Most of the best known brands ie Daiwa's Exceller and Berkley's Air(my preference) rods etc are all 2 piece rods.

 

The only  4 piece that I'm aware of (and you being into fly-fishing should know the brand) is the TempleFork Outfitters dropshotting rod. It is an amazing rod and true to its brand's quality. It does however only cast up to a 1 1/4 oz weight  if I recall correctly. They retail at about R1250
 

Dawie Ras

New member
Thanks al lot for the replies!

We are going to the northern athols.  Will fish mostly from the shore. 

I love my TFO fly rods and have seen the TFO dropshot rod. Maybe too light for this application?

As I have already spent a lot of money on other equipment, my budget for the spinning outfit is limited to +-R3000.  Looks like I have to go for a 2 piece rod. More specific recommendations in terms of rod, reel and plug weights?
 

jomac

Member
hi dawie if you are looking for something a bit heavier have a look at shimano, their exage 8ft 2 piece xxh its a beast of a rod but ideal for getting big fish out of cover normally retail at between 1200 to 1500 zar and reel wise either a saragosa or even sustain 8000 or if you feel like spoiling yourself go stella 10000 there are still a few of the older models around and can be got for a "reasonable" price if you would like more details pm me i'll send you some numbers of shops with this stock

cheers jonty
 

ignoblis

Senior Member
Shimano Aerocast 8ft or 10ft are both 3 piece rods but at R2500.00. Still you don't get mush better.

ignoblis
 
Hey Dawie, I have a Loomis and Franklin Shockwave 10ft stick, its awesome and i use it for spinning, casts a 4oz plug on the heavy tip with ease.. and the rod is about R800 max, I have no regrets and its a beautifull stick with lank backbone
 

SuperFly

New member
Maybe you should ask the guys you are booking this trip through because even though it is a fly fishing trip they may have the knowledge of other tackle formats
 

Dawie Ras

New member
Maybe you should ask the guys you are booking this trip through because even though it is a fly fishing trip they may have the knowledge of other tackle formats
 

It is a private trip arranged by a fly fishing friend - not very clued up on spinning!

I will consider all your suggestions...
 

will101

Senior Member
Dawie, just an idea but have you considered putting a spinning reel on a fly rod? Don't laugh - it works well, in fact some of the "dropshot" (hate the word) rods are practically fly rods. My guess is you probably have a 10 or so wt flyrod and these mostly come with fighting butts.
 

Dawie Ras

New member
Dawie, just an idea but have you considered putting a spinning reel on a fly rod? Don't laugh - it works well, in fact some of the "dropshot" (hate the word) rods are practically fly rods. My guess is you probably have a 10 or so wt flyrod and these mostly come with fighting butts.
 

Now this sounds like a good idea!?  I will be taking some 12wt fly rods along...
 

Fin-S

Sealiner
I use the TFO - have landed jacks to 18kgs, nile perch to 25kgs and plenty of tail. Matched to Exceller 4000, 20lb braid, nice outfit. However it is not strong enough for GT's in reefy areas - simply does not have the backbone to stop the initial dive. The fly rod is an excellent idea - just be careful of the rings and braid - the braid will cut through the coating in some cases.
 

Sparkplugcaster

New member
Hi Dawie

If you are looking for a multi-piece rod, the Daiwa wilderness 905ms is a great rod, but will be too light for big GTs. I would go for the Exceller XXH, but this is only two piece. For the reel, I just bought an Oceano 4500 (Daiwa) and put 40lb braid on - what a win!
 

shadkilla

New member
boet... pm enigma and ask him about the 4pc travel rods... casts up to 3 ounce i think with plenty muscle under the collar...extremely well priced to fit most budgets...

i have mine in 9ft and 10ft and matched with exceller 400o and stradic 6000...enjoy the trip...
 

Enigma

Moderator
HI that 4 piece rod was so grat that all 100 of thew rods I had sold out in the first month and now it's a rush to get new stock.

I however crumpled one on 40lbs braid trying to hold a 20+ GT out of a reef.

I have some sample rods of Alpha tackle on the way which were made to compliment Hennie Papenfuss's heavier Jigging and Popping tackle.

I can't pass comment on the rods yet but if it's anything like the rest of the products that the Italians have already supplied it's going to be a machine of a 4 piece rod that is made of light Toray HMG and will do all you want of it but it's going to be in the R1300 - 1400 price Class

EVOC SERIES - GT HAmmER JET CLASS 4 SECT. 9' 5oz lure 25-45lb lne 2,70m max 150 gr Sachsen components

EVOC SERIES - GT HAmmER JET CLASS 4 SECT. 9' 4oz lure 20-40lb lne 2,70m max 100 gr Sachsen components

I suppose the name says it all but I'll only be able to say Yay or Nay once I personally have it in my hands. If it's anything like the Jade Venom 2pce 9' that Skorpion bought it'll do the job and more.

Blue City AndriesH on this site will be the retailer you'll be abler to buy from if we want to go ahead.

PS the Kob in this Avatar was caught on the 4 pce rod in the earlier post, in the Witsand surf using a 2oz Jighead with a 7 inch McCarthy Shad on 20lbs braid
 
Top