Adventure Fishing Safaris - Reports and Updates

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
We are off to Kosi Lakes for a week of estuary fishing, hope we get at least 1 big GT. Will post reports and pics on my return

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Kosi Bay trip October 2013

The weather did not play along on this trip, we started out fishing in some very heavy rain, and when the rain stopped we had howling North East winds, on the last day we had a howling South West wind. Water temp in the lakes was very cold and the water was crystal clear, with exception of the last day the water got turbid but remained cold.
We spent 1 day at the Mouth and the rest of the time was spent dodging rain and fishing in the lakes. We managed a couple of Sea Pike (Pick Handle Barracuda) at the mouth along with some Gurnards, in the Lakes we worked hard and made 1000’s of casts and ended up resorting to light tackle bait fishing as there was no Game fish to be found.
None the less we were surrounded by the spectacular nature and bird life of the area.

Attachments

• 291013-2.JPG
    291013-2.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 368

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Jozini Tiger Fishing Trip – Mid November 2013

We left Durban in the early hours of the morning in heavy rain to make our way up to Jozini, and when we got there it was still raining, but at least not heavy like the rain we picked up on the road, we started setting up the campsite in the rain and by the time we had completed the rain had gone and the sun was out, from there on we had mostly blue skies and hot weather over 36deg.C with exception for 1 day which was a little cooler and over cast.
Mornings sessions all had light winds and afternoon sessions all had moderate winds, the water was warm and the dam levels at around 80%. The top of the river section was already getting dirty from the rains coming down the river and each day it moved closer to the bay area.

The fishing was good, and even in our first session we had our 1st fish on board in no time and soon everyone was comfortable with the fishing style and tackle.
We had many strikes that were missed in true Tiger Fishing fashion, but we also landed a fair amount of Tiger Fish over the 4 days with the largest fish landed being 3.0Kg.
It was very frustrating on this trip that we lost so many big tigers in the 4-5Kg range; the fish were very aggressive and fought very hard with many biting us off.

The whole area is green now and the wildlife is just so spectacular, I just love fishing Jozini as nowhere else so close to home offers one the opportunity of good fishing, game and bird viewing and off a boat its always best as one can get much closer to the wildlife.

Attachments

• 1720112013-1.JPG
    1720112013-1.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 339

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Jozini Tiger Fishing Trip, end November 2013

I drove up to Jozini in the rain yet again, met my clients and we started with and afternoon session, the wind picked up by late afternoon and we only managed 2 Tiger Fish for the session.
Thursday was wet and windy and we only found a window of 4 hrs to fish that day, we got our first Tiger on fly and another one.
Friday was an awesome day, the weather played along and the fish were biting, we stayed out the whole day to make up for lost time the day before and by the end of the day we had landed 14 Tiger Fish.
Saturday started out as a hot day, and we fished 2 sessions, the afternoon saw a storm and cut our session short, we only managed 3 fish for the day.
In total we got 21 Tigers, of which 5 were caught on fly and the largest was just under 2Kg.

Attachments

• 27-30112013-1.JPG
    27-30112013-1.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 338

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Please see the new page on our Adventure Fishing Safaris website where we now offer a multi-species fishing and camping trip to a variety of destinations all in one trip

http://www.adventurefishing.co.za/pages/safari.htm

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
We went up to Lake Jozini on Thursday with the intention of doing some Tiger fishing that afternoon and on Friday morning. On Thursday the wind was hectic which made the water dangerous and so we fished a longer session on Friday. Water is cleaning up and the dam is almost 100% full. We ended up with 9 Tiger fish all fishing top water, the largest was around 2.5kg. We also lost a bus of a Tiger and we caught 2 sharp tooth cat fish fishing top water

Attachments

• 28032014-1.JPG
    28032014-1.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 258

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
LAKE JOZINI TIGER FISHING REPORT - 20-22 June 2015
Did a 3 day fishing and camping trip up at Jozini with a guest from New Zealand to hunt some Tiger Fish. Water was cold and crystal clear, the water levels were extremely low and the slipway was about 15-20m out the water making for difficult launching. Early mornings were icy cold, but along with winter conditions the game viewing and bird life was incredible, Buffalo, Elephants, Rhino, Hippo, Crocodiles, Kudu, Wildebeest, Ostrich, Jackals, Warthogs, Giraffe, Zebra and a host of other wildlife and birds. For me the highlight was an Osprey Eagle that took a Tiger fish directly inform of us and a Fish Eagle that we saw perch up close. The fishing was not as good as I had hoped and we only landed 17 Tiger Fish in Total and all were smaller sizes but not rats and probably dropped about another 100 fish at least. We had one monster hooked up but he came off. At the campsite on the last day during brunch the Warthogs came right up to us within an arms length.

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Jozini Tiger Fishing Report: 31 March-3 April 2017
We arrived at Pongola Game Reserve on the afternoon of 30th March booked in at Nkwazi Lodge.
The plan was to target Tiger Fish spinning with artificial lures.
The water levels are still low, but better than my previous trip in October last year. At least they have had rain and the area is green and did not look like a fire had swept the area like it did in the peak of the drought last year.
For 4 days we fished morning and afternoon sessions spending about 8hrs on the water each day.
Sadly the water was the colour of coffee and we had no luck with the lures, even 4cm into the water and one could not see the lure and so we decided to switch to bait fishing on anchor instead.
The early mornings had a slight nip in the air, but by 8am it was hot and the afternoons were extremely hot with very high temperatures.
Between 3 of us over the 4 days we managed to land a total of 59 Tiger Fish and a fish that we were told is a sliver fish (Never seen this before), and probably lost another 259 fish or even more with so many on/offs we lost count, but this is very typical with Tiger Fishing especially when the smaller ones hit the baits.
Most the fish we caught were under 1Kg, but we did get a few over the 1kg mark with the biggest fish under 2Kg, having said that all the fish we caught weighed exactly 1.2Kg according to a faulty scale no matter the size of the fish.
I fished with my little 6”8” Shimano Crucial which gave good sport on some fish, am really amazed at the sensitivity of this blank.
I was really hoping for at least one big Tiger and the adrenalin rush but it did not happen and that was rather disappointing.
Lots of jokes and rubbish talk always makes for a great day out to fish and chill.
I still love fishing at Jozini, even if we had to fish with bait, whilst fishing one gets to see and hear nature all around, we saw a herd of Elephants on 2 of our sessions, Buffalo, Hippos, Rhino, Crocodiles, many species of Buck, other smaller animals and a huge variety of birds.
At the end of everyday one is treated to the most gorgeous sunsets.
One can’t help getting completely relaxed and at peace in a place like this and leave being completely recharged.
I included some pics with fish jumping out the hands when taking the pic just for the facial expression and the pose which I thought are really natural and very funny and when looking at them we all had a really good laugh.

Attachments

• 20170402-4.jpg
    20170402-4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 93

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Jozini Tiger Fishing Report - 22 April 2017
We had guests from the UK and were really blessed with some stunning weather. We started out at 06h00 in the morning and were greeted by a large group of hippos on the water about 100m after we launched. Besides the hippos we saw a lot of other animals around and the real treat was a family of giraffes drinking on the water’s edge and we managed to get a really close look.
We eventually started fishing after enjoying the nature around us and after about 45 minutes we had not had a single strike and decided 5 more minutes and we will move to a new spot, this never happened as shortly after the bites kept coming and coming and by 10h00 we had landed 16 fish including some nice sizes. We then headed back to the lodge for a great brunch.
Later on we headed out again for an afternoon session and the conditions were still great and we found a fish eagle sitting on an old stump really close to us. This time the fish started biting immediately and first cast got us a good fish and we ended the day with a total of 23 fish. I got a really big hit during this session but to my frustration my rod snapped and the fish was lost. In the last 30 minutes as the sun was setting down low we tried for a last fish to try get to 24 but the bite went quiet. All the fish we caught were safely released.
The sunsets at Jozini are always truly amazing. That evening the skies were so clear we could see the milky-way, Jupiter and all the star formations.
Next day we headed back to Durban and took a detour through the Umfolozi Game Reserve, a truly magnificent place. We saw 4 different herds of Elephant, one group was rolling around in the mud along the river bank having a whale of a time, we also Rhino, Buffalo, Baboons, Water Buck, Nyala, Impala, a Blue Duiker, Leopard Tortoise an Osprey Eagle and some Vultures amongst a host of other bird species. At one view site I was sitting at a wooden bench and it was just so amazing to be in such a wide open space, so silent with just the sound of nature.
www.adventurefishing.co.za

Attachments

• 20170422-1.jpg
    20170422-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 47