Action Camera

Malboer

New member
So im in The market for a new action Camera and not willing to shell out for top name brand one.
What is the alternatives and if you have one how would you rate it.
Got one polaroid now and have had good service from it but on the kayak there is a few shortcomings. like you cannot switch to video mode from photo without opening the waterproof case. No date and time stamp. would like to have a remote to get better angles on photos taken.

Whats your expierences
Cheers
Malboer
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Hey Malboer, just in case...there is a cheaper R2000 go pro out there.
I saw my buddy's black in action over the weekend at Sterkfontein and DAMN!!!! it's nice... I will be getting one shortly ;)
 

caesar

Member
I got myself the Gopro Hero for R2000. Its an entry level camera, but shoots full HD video. It does not have the fancy blue tooth and wifi but works awesome on my kayak. It shoots 720p at 60fps, 720p superview at 60fps and 1080p at 30fps. It also shoot 5mp fotos and does time lapse video. I think it is good value for money.
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20141207-00088.jpg
    IMG-20141207-00088.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 361
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Hey Malboer, just in case...there is a cheaper R2000 go pro out there.
I saw my buddy's black in action over the weekend at Sterkfontein and DAMN!!!! it's nice... I will be getting one shortly ;)

I'm still contemplating whether I should get the Hero 4 Black or Silver. I have a 5k iMac for editing, so the 4k video of the Black will surely look nice, but storage space can become an issue in the long run. The Silver on the other hand has the buildin screen on the back and better battery life and 60fps @ 1080p is all I actually need for now.
 

iR Bennie

New member

Attachments

  • Sarda Sarda.JPG
    Sarda Sarda.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 357

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Slimy Salamander wrote:
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Hey Malboer, just in case...there is a cheaper R2000 go pro out there.
I saw my buddy's black in action over the weekend at Sterkfontein and DAMN!!!! it's nice... I will be getting one shortly ;)

I'm still contemplating whether I should get the Hero 4 Black or Silver. I have a 5k iMac for editing, so the 4k video of the Black will surely look nice, but storage space can become an issue in the long run. The Silver on the other hand has the buildin screen on the back and better battery life and 60fps @ 1080p is all I actually need for now.
If I am not mistaken the silver sells for around R5000 and the Black for R7500 which is a lot of money... Still cheaper abroad where the black would be just over R5000. I'm off to Spain end July and will see what I can do...Silver seems like the way to go but having that 4K video every now and again would be a +. Regarding the battery life...there are external battery attachments one can purchase.
 
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Slimy Salamander wrote:
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Hey Malboer, just in case...there is a cheaper R2000 go pro out there.
I saw my buddy's black in action over the weekend at Sterkfontein and DAMN!!!! it's nice... I will be getting one shortly ;)

I'm still contemplating whether I should get the Hero 4 Black or Silver. I have a 5k iMac for editing, so the 4k video of the Black will surely look nice, but storage space can become an issue in the long run. The Silver on the other hand has the buildin screen on the back and better battery life and 60fps @ 1080p is all I actually need for now.
If I am not mistaken the silver sells for around R5000 and the Black for R7500 which is a lot of money... Still cheaper abroad where the black would be just over R5000. I'm off to Spain end July and will see what I can do...Silver seems like the way to go but having that 4K video every now and again would be a +. Regarding the battery life...there are external battery attachments one can purchase.

I think if you can purchase the GoPro overseas and bring it in with your luggage you can save some money, but if you buy it from an online store and import it you will pay more than local prices due to shipping costs and taxes. I've had to find that out the hard way more than once.
 
Malboer wrote:
So im in The market for a new action Camera and not willing to shell out for top name brand one.
What is the alternatives and if you have one how would you rate it.
Got one polaroid now and have had good service from it but on the kayak there is a few shortcomings. like you cannot switch to video mode from photo without opening the waterproof case. No date and time stamp. would like to have a remote to get better angles on photos taken.

Whats your expierences
Cheers
Malboer

The GoPro Hero for R2000 as mentioned by caesar looks like the best low budget action camera, remember that you will find accessories for it everywhere and it uses the standard GoPro form factor that will allow you to find many attachments and add-ons everywhere you go. If you buy some lesser known brand or less popular camera you will have a hard time to get attachments ect. Also if you decide later to upgrade to one of the higher end GoPros you will be able to reuse many of the accessories you already have.
 

Malboer

New member
Hi So finnally I took the plunge and it arrived.

I went for something different so lets see how it does. the features are impressive and does all the things i need it to do.

Will it hold up, Only time will tell
 

Attachments

  • well presented.jpg
    well presented.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 247

Malboer

New member
The company I got it from is going full out and have got a full range of accesories and spare batteries for this model
 

Attachments

  • whats inside.jpg
    whats inside.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 244

Malboer

New member
The remote can switch the cammera on from sleep mode. And change from video to photo at the push of a button.
 

Attachments

  • remote controll.jpg
    remote controll.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 244

Malboer

New member
Here is the specs.

Description: IntroductionAn action camera offering the best of both worlds on land and under water to 60M - No waterproof case needed. Providing 1080P HD recording with wide angled lens allows the user to CAPTURE THE MOMENT ! The built in wifi system in conjuntion with the downloadable app makes for easy use and downloading of content. The camera can also be used as a webcam for your laptop or Smart TV.**will ship nationally - competitive courier rates**Features:HD Video RecordingWhite balance technologyRecord voice, take photos in HD or RecordWaterproof shell - No outer shell needed170 degrees wide angel lens Built in Wifi1,5" LCD screen comes standardSOS Bright LED light iOS and Android AppSpecifications:1. SONY Sensor 2. Image Sensor: SONY 3223. Image Resolution: (4032 x 3024)Pixel (12MP), (3648 x 2736)Pixel (10MP), (1920 x 1080) Pixel (2MP)4. Video Resolution: (1920 x 1080)Pixel (30fps), (1280 x 720 )Pixel (60 fps)5. Max. Resolution: 12 MP6. Lens: F/2.0 (f=3.15 mm)7. Digital Zoom: 4 x8. LCD Display: 1.5″ LCD9. Battery Type: 1 x Li-ion Battery 1050mAh (Included)10. Recording time: 120mins in 1080P11. White Balance: Auto/ Sunlight / Cloudy Day/ Tungsten Lamp / Fluorescent Lamp / Underwater12. Extended Memory: Max to 32G13. Image File Format: JPEG14. Video File Format: MOV15. Exposure: -2 – +216. Self-time Delay: 3s / 10s / 30s17. Flash: Support18. ISO: Auto19. Interface Type: Micro USB20. Language: Deutsch, Italian, Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese21. Operate System: Window 7 Below22. Anti-Shake: Yes23. Dimensions: (2.4 x 2.17 x 2.13) ” / (6.1 x 5.5 x 5.4) cm (L x W x H)24. Weight: 41g25. Color: BlackGift Set IncludesOutdoor Action Camera (waterproof - no casing needed) X 1Remote (Wrist) X1Built in LCD Screen X 1Bracket adaptors X 5Helmet BracketManualMicro USB cable X 1EU Plug Charger3M StickersAccessories available !!! Go Pro Compatible
 

Malboer

New member
Hi

The cost is R 2099. for the gift box set.

Yes a go pro is R2000 but buy all the add ons youre looking at a bit more.

Will load some footage as soon as possible
 

JFE

Senior Member
I have also made the switch from GoPro to another make, Sony. I am so happy with the Sony it's really better film quality (don't get the fish eye look due to the convex shape of the lens) and it is way more stable (build in stability as does all Sony cams).
Down side you need to buy the accessories separate, but worthwhile in my opinion. The only issue is that I’ve bought and imported my cam for under R2000, but locally they sell the HDR 15 for 3,5K where I bought the higher spec HDR 20 from Amazon. Our dealers are still ripping us off. Same for my last GPro, the black edition, that I also imported from the States for a whopping saving.

 
Top