A Review of Sorts

Basspro

Senior Member
I've been on my own for the better part of 5 years now and quite happy at that - In as much as I'd like to think the 'right woman/companion' will come along in whatever decade or year that might be I'm now convinced that there is a bud of mine that thinks he's my wife (to add further salt to 'a closed wound' - he is himself a married man) Let me explain .. I planned on doing a morning session at my local lake but more so to get the feel of the new rods, a fish would have been a bonus to actually write a full review in my opinion since the rods were bought for distance casting anyway. However I'd went to bed Saturday evening after packing the gear with a motherless headache - what caused it me thinks was the Saturday morning's barbel session with another bud sitting in the sun and a few drinks coupled with a few good pieces of grilled steaks. All the same the barbel were showing (no bites) but the conversations we had were even better so all in all some good banter out there. We'll certainly be doing a few of those Spring sessions my old chap, but for now squash on & get fit - enjoy. You still young. LoL !!!! Back to Sunday and so it was I woke at 4am, motherless headache never left so no sleep really after the effects of the sun I decided 'to lay in & sort me garage out later instead' a chore I've been avoiding 2 months now-clearly Maximus my Jack Russell wouldn't be happy with me not taking him but that be his problem. Lo & behold just as I thought the 1st text comes in from my wife: 'Are your lines in already?" huh !! 5am ? so we spoke via a few texts & my 'wife' aka a man in every aspect of the word got me out of bed & down to the lake with: 'I'll see you in an hour after gym' .......mmmmm wish a damsel would tell me that I'd certainly be up in no time. Anyway after a short brief set-up at the water (it was fairly cold) & sipping on some Jacobs beans the rods were ready to cast out. a thought crossed my mind..This damn oke, I could have been sleeping now I'm out in the cold, thinks his my wife. As it were the 1st rod was rigged with a 3oz Amnesia hooklink at 12inches, 2nd rod a choddy hooklink also with a 3oz lead - well cast away and I did after I had baited the swim & left it for a while. Incidentally I had washed out my baits the previous evening since it was a short session at that. The line I decided on was a line I've been using in my bass fishing - impressed by it I spooled a set of my big reels with it. To give an account on the Daiwa's casting ability (and that of any tackle really) a rod is only as good as an anglers ability to cast. Sadly the first two casts were hopeless and Take 2 saw me put a little more effort in. I got good distance and with no leader I was quite impressed. Happy that the rods were well placed I sat back and my wife arrives - we reviewed tackle, the rods and various topics abound until eventually I was left wondering what happened to all the fish I saw head and shouldering? Well he had his 'real wife to go home to' - All the same the session came and went and I got the satisfaction I wanted on the rods. A review of sorts as I said.

 The rest of the day saw me clearing the garage, gardening watching Transformers 4 & eventually ending the day with a night run of 8km's where I found myself thinking of the next session due shortly and what I'll be doing to buy a bite. For now that's it fellow carpers - Might you have an awesome week and for those that fished I trust you had a bite or two.

For your next session - Fish Hard & Smart - Stay Safe.

 Tackle Reviewed: Daiwa Mission X 3.5lb tc Line: Double X Extreme Abrasion 18lb (U want to get onto this line) From The Carp Diaries John'O.  
 

Boss Wit NOS

Sealiner
Basspro wrote:
I've been on my own for the better part of 5 years now and quite happy at that - In as much as I'd like to think the 'right woman/companion' will come along in whatever decade or year that might be I'm now convinced that there is a bud of mine that thinks he's my wife (to add further salt to 'a closed wound' - he is himself a married man) Let me explain .. I planned on doing a morning session at my local lake but more so to get the feel of the new rods, a fish would have been a bonus to actually write a full review in my opinion since the rods were bought for distance casting anyway. However I'd went to bed Saturday evening after packing the gear with a motherless headache - what caused it me thinks was the Saturday morning's barbel session with another bud sitting in the sun and a few drinks coupled with a few good pieces of grilled steaks. All the same the barbel were showing (no bites) but the conversations we had were even better so all in all some good banter out there. We'll certainly be doing a few of those Spring sessions my old chap, but for now squash on & get fit - enjoy. You still young. LoL !!!! Back to Sunday and so it was I woke at 4am, motherless headache never left so no sleep really after the effects of the sun I decided 'to lay in & sort me garage out later instead' a chore I've been avoiding 2 months now-clearly Maximus my Jack Russell wouldn't be happy with me not taking him but that be his problem. Lo & behold just as I thought the 1st text comes in from my wife: 'Are your lines in already?" huh !! 5am ? so we spoke via a few texts & my 'wife' aka a man in every aspect of the word got me out of bed & down to the lake with: 'I'll see you in an hour after gym' .......mmmmm wish a damsel would tell me that I'd certainly be up in no time. Anyway after a short brief set-up at the water (it was fairly cold) & sipping on some Jacobs beans the rods were ready to cast out. a thought crossed my mind..This damn oke, I could have been sleeping now I'm out in the cold, thinks his my wife. As it were the 1st rod was rigged with a 3oz Amnesia hooklink at 12inches, 2nd rod a choddy hooklink also with a 3oz lead - well cast away and I did after I had baited the swim & left it for a while. Incidentally I had washed out my baits the previous evening since it was a short session at that. The line I decided on was a line I've been using in my bass fishing - impressed by it I spooled a set of my big reels with it. To give an account on the Daiwa's casting ability (and that of any tackle really) a rod is only as good as an anglers ability to cast. Sadly the first two casts were hopeless and Take 2 saw me put a little more effort in. I got good distance and with no leader I was quite impressed. Happy that the rods were well placed I sat back and my wife arrives - we reviewed tackle, the rods and various topics abound until eventually I was left wondering what happened to all the fish I saw head and shouldering? Well he had his 'real wife to go home to' - All the same the session came and went and I got the satisfaction I wanted on the rods. A review of sorts as I said.

 The rest of the day saw me clearing the garage, gardening watching Transformers 4 & eventually ending the day with a night run of 8km's where I found myself thinking of the next session due shortly and what I'll be doing to buy a bite. For now that's it fellow carpers - Might you have an awesome week and for those that fished I trust you had a bite or two.

For your next session - Fish Hard & Smart - Stay Safe.

 Tackle Reviewed: Daiwa Mission X 3.5lb tc Line: Double X Extreme Abrasion 18lb (U want to get onto this line) From The Carp Diaries John'O.  

ahhhhhh seems like you have good friends old man

so you say you blanked hey

hmmmmm welcome to my club :)
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Indeed I 'blanked' - But be warned...watch this space. I'll be into a good fish or two very soon ....
 
You might just be his escape from said married life....his connection with bachelorhood...the life he kinda craves coz of its obvious perks...but cant have for obvious reasons. I have a younger cousin whom I can always bank on to be eager for a getaway at any time...he's always game and I sometimes envy his freedom. Gotta draw the line though, in your case I mean....tell the bro straight-up if you're not gonna meet him somewhere...his intentions were probably just like okes will be....you know guys dont ask....

Not that that was what the story was all about....sure the review was well worth-it....and yes....any account by the water...stimulation of the senses always a good read....

:clap12:clap12
 

Beeslek

New member
Hi Basspro.

I am getting some of the Extreme Abrasion line to try out this week(after one hell of a search).Just one question,which no one else could answer me yet:does the line sink/float/hover in the water?
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Beeslek wrote:
Hi Basspro.

I am getting some of the Extreme Abrasion line to try out this week(after one hell of a search).Just one question,which no one else could answer me yet:does the line sink/float/hover in the water?
I am also fishing the same line and it sinks.
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Sorry I was away yesterday - yes indeed it sinks but be careful with choices though - look at the 14 and 18lb versions for distance casting. I would attach a leader to the 14lb .. that's just me though.

The only escape is the escape for a man to spend time with his own soul... That's my theory anyway
 

Beeslek

New member
I agree on the escape opinion,my fishing is my escape time,I often go fishing alone.

As far as the line goes,the breaking strain/dia ratio was one of the main selling points for me,the fact that it sinks well is a huge bonus.I am not a great caster,I am always worried about tangles,accuracy and presentation.I only cast when I am too lazy to take the boat with.But I always use a leader anyway,I found the Hi Abrasion 24lb(0.40mm) almost indestructible.Now I can use the 27lb(0.40mm),with 18lb mailine.
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Beeslek wrote:
I agree on the escape opinion,my fishing is my escape time,I often go fishing alone.

As far as the line goes,the breaking strain/dia ratio was one of the main selling points for me,the fact that it sinks well is a huge bonus.I am not a great caster,I am always worried about tangles,accuracy and presentation.I only cast when I am too lazy to take the boat with.But I always use a leader anyway,I found the Hi Abrasion 24lb(0.40mm) almost indestructible.Now I can use the 27lb(0.40mm),with 18lb mailine.
Why not opt for the 24lb 0.36mm rather than the 27lb 0.40mm? Berkley Big Game which I also rate very high is already 12lb at 0.35mm.
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Anglers make it too complicated for themselves when choosing line -

I always said and will maintain that boating makes for a lazy angler in most cases and you not really fully tested as when casting.

I've seen anglers fish 'ponds' and boat their lines out & it makes me wonder what they actually doing. Anyway that's just me.
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Basspro wrote:
Anglers make it too complicated for themselves when choosing line -

I always said and will maintain that boating makes for a lazy angler in most cases and you not really fully tested as when casting.

I've seen anglers fish 'ponds' and boat their lines out & it makes me wonder what they actually doing. Anyway that's just me.
Didn't you say you wanted one of these bad boys Johno? ;)
 

Attachments

  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 82
Basspro wrote:
Anglers make it too complicated for themselves when choosing line -

I always said and will maintain that boating makes for a lazy angler in most cases and you not really fully tested as when casting.

I've seen anglers fish 'ponds' and boat their lines out & it makes me wonder what they actually doing. Anyway that's just me.






I must agree. I'm new to this wonderful pass time and I like the challenge off casting my line out (even though my casting suck big time). But it's that feeling of accomplishment when I do get it in the spot. Testing your own abilities against all the odds in this search for that big one. I do agree that if you going to fish 300 meters you need a boat.
 
Top