A good all-round Rock and Gulley rod

WWFisherman

Senior Member
Have any of you guys got suggestions for a good intermediate rod. I've got my small exceller to use for dropshot in the surf and off the rocks and my big surf rod for casting big baits and sliding. What would be a good size or brand of rod for the intermediate stuff: Casting smallish spoons and plugs, small baits and scratching around the gulleys and off the rocks or the lagoon?
 

Weedeater

Sealiner
WWFisherman wrote:
Have any of you guys got suggestions for a good intermediate rod. I've got my small exceller to use for dropshot in the surf and off the rocks and my big surf rod for casting big baits and sliding. What would be a good size or brand of rod for the intermediate stuff: Casting smallish spoons and plugs, small baits and scratching around the gulleys and off the rocks or the lagoon?

I would look at either a Pentagon Light HMG (heavy tip) or Medium HMG with Medium tip.

The Pentagon Light HMG is probably the best scratching rod I have ever seen, very light weight, has enough backbone to throw decent size lures. My first choice in a scratching rod.
 

WWFisherman

Senior Member
Weedeater wrote:
WWFisherman wrote:
Have any of you guys got suggestions for a good intermediate rod. I've got my small exceller to use for dropshot in the surf and off the rocks and my big surf rod for casting big baits and sliding. What would be a good size or brand of rod for the intermediate stuff: Casting smallish spoons and plugs, small baits and scratching around the gulleys and off the rocks or the lagoon?

I would look at either a Pentagon Light HMG (heavy tip) or Medium HMG with Medium tip.

The Pentagon Light HMG is probably the best scratching rod I have ever seen, very light weight, has enough backbone to throw decent size lures. My first choice in a scratching rod.

Thanks, Weedeater. I'll take a look at that rod. What's the price like? Forgot to mention, my budget is in the R1,000 - R1,400 area for the rod.
 

SAfish

Sealiner
I am getting myself an Exage 1224. It is a 3 piece and has 3 tips, light ,medium & heavy. You can cast from 1.5 - 4oz. You can get it for about R1400. I also have a Sensation shad pro 10ft 2 piece. Rated at 2-3oz. Nice rod with titanium guides and good finishes. They sell for about R800.
 

Weedeater

Sealiner
WWFisherman wrote:
Weedeater wrote:
WWFisherman wrote:
Have any of you guys got suggestions for a good intermediate rod. I've got my small exceller to use for dropshot in the surf and off the rocks and my big surf rod for casting big baits and sliding. What would be a good size or brand of rod for the intermediate stuff: Casting smallish spoons and plugs, small baits and scratching around the gulleys and off the rocks or the lagoon?

I would look at either a Pentagon Light HMG (heavy tip) or Medium HMG with Medium tip.

The Pentagon Light HMG is probably the best scratching rod I have ever seen, very light weight, has enough backbone to throw decent size lures. My first choice in a scratching rod.

Thanks, Weedeater. I'll take a look at that rod. What's the price like? Forgot to mention, my budget is in the R1,000 - R1,400 area for the rod.

WW
They are pricey, out of that range I'm afraid. Around R3K.
Else look at the WAFT Highlander Shad HMG, one piece rod, but excellent for scratching! I loved mine (until I broker it into 5 pieces, long story).
 

WWFisherman

Senior Member
Thanks all of you, I'm scribbling notes furiously so that I can take a trip down to Mias and Sollys and take a look at the rods mentioned.

Once again, appreciate all your advice.
 

Weedeater

Sealiner
WWFisherman wrote:
Thanks all of you, I'm scribbling notes furiously so that I can take a trip down to Mias and Sollys and take a look at the rods mentioned.

Once again, appreciate all your advice.

You won't find a WAFT at the above, try Western Accessories Krugersdorp, speak to Abdul.
 

mad mike

Senior Member
no one has mentioned it but in my opinion for your price range i have a stimulator...its magic. it comes in various lengths and cast weights. the 10.5 foot 3 ounce cast weight is magic for throwing spoons for shad and i have landed a smallish snoek from the beach with it. the rod works perfectly with a sealine 30. my boet has the 12 foot i think and it casts slightly further. so i would definately recommend having a look at it.
my 20000000000 zim$
happy shopping and tight lines
mad mike
 

SAfish

Sealiner
Ok guys, help me out here. I want to buy an Exage 1224. Why do you all prefer the 110H? I know it has a higher rating (9oz), but you can only cast a 4-5oz weight with ease. I don't think it is a bad rod (if I had enough money I would buy one of each), but I think the 1224 with it's 3 tips is more versatile. It is also a bit longer and will help you when fishing from the surf. Please guys, help me out, I am totally confused. Should I rather buy the 110H? Sorry for the hijack WWF. 
 

Angus

Sealiner
The question asked was for advice on a good intermediate rod for rock and gulley fishing. I find the 110h paired with my torium 20 ideal for this ( would still like to get a torium 16 though). It is light, 2-piece and comes with trigger grip and tube.
 

Hooked

Senior Member
I like it cause it casts well and I dig the number of eyes it has , no chance of the line overtaking the blank hence you can pull the cr*p out of it if needs be ( within reason )
 
Top