WORLD RECORD CARP FROM S.A WATERS.

MadCarper

Sealiner
Ok, I have a question. How was Rushmere stocked back then, when it had mainly 30lb+ carp? Did they stock small carp and feed it? Or was the big carp in there already? Or did they "source" big carp from other venues? How did they stock Top Lake?

Does top lake have a feeding program where they feed x tons every year, or do they rely mainly on managing fis stocks and the bait from anglers going into the dam?

renrew

`top lake had fish in it already a long time back, top lake is one of the lakes where i can say i have never seen so much natural food in a dam, like this past weekend, there are so much snails in there at the moment that when you reel out on each and every rod there is a few snails and if you bring back grass you will have a handful. These fish are the correct strain if you look at their heads and tails.

Rushmere was stoked with carp from top lake, ike the lady was a top lake fish given to rushmere,but the fish were taken back because the water wasnt managed. Top lake has no need to feed x tons a year because each member there buys feed for the fish like most give a 50kg bag of trout pellets every 2nd month plus the amount of natural food going in and only boillies being used there is no need for extra feed, there is more than enough in there, and remembr i also said they control the population so they keep the biomass intact so that if anything goes bad that the natruals can atleast keep the fish at their current weights.

And please get this, the post about feeding fish from the fry stage is to do with WORLD RECORD carp not big carp but massive carp, not all carp grow to those sizes very few do, because it depends on a hell of alot. Some fish will gain 20-25lbs a year and grow like that for 5 years then all their growth just stops, or they grow very fast and die, its not just ok that fish has a big head lets grow a record. Its easy to get 30-50lb carp because on a world standard thats pretty average, 70's 80's and 90's are what they're aiming for at the moment. If it was easy and a simple task to grow 100lb plus fish there would be more than one scar trust me.

If you think its a simple task to grow big carp and im talking a load of crap, go phone a koi breeder that has at least won some sort of competition and ask him how to grow carp as fast as possible, just grab a chair you might be there for a long time. To give you an idea how hardcore these guys take it, they add salts,minerals,and feed the fish various diets and try to establish an environment for the specific fish to grow the fastest in once they have this figured out the growing starts.

MadCarper

Sealiner
Yup, but I guess we've gone off the "world record" topic onto syndicates containing big carp....

renrew, chill man, not saying you're talking crap. My point is that allthough Europe is a good benchmark to use, we dont have the resources, venues and laws that enable us to replicate what they do there.
BUT, what I'm also getting to is that we can still have good big carp syndicates, and it does not necessarily mean having to spend hundreds of thousands.

What you left out to say is the big carp from various other venues that were moved to top lake. So you have original stock mixed with other strains. So, with the right components in place, one can build a syndicate by "sourcing" big carp from other venues, and making sure the venue is managed properly. As you said, it can be done with a dam that has a good source of naturals + anglers baits....
YES, I am aware that there is more to the process, but its very possible.

carelvanheerden

Since we have gone so far of topic..I have some more questions.

What part of SA has the best BFC carp weather. I was @ DD mid winter, and it was @#$king freezing. Surely you want a area where the temperatures don't drop below 0c that often.

renrew

From where were the fish taken and how many? We just had a discussion about this on the weekend, ut id love to hear what others think about where fish came from?

MadCarper

Sealiner
hehehehe.... so jy dink al die visse in daai dam is originals? Dan is jy die eerste persoon wat ek ken wat so dink...

renrew

nee dis nie wat ek se nie, maar ek wil by julle hoor waar julle dink van die visse vandaan kom en hoeveel?? antwoord daai een

There are world record carp in South Africa. Our venues are so challenging that they havn't been caught yet.

Cape Town was the first area in South Africa where carp were introduced. From the Olifants river around to the Fish river is the best place in South Africa to catch a world record in my opinion. Moderate climate, lots of dams and the first areas where carp were introduced. There are carp in this stretch that are 40 - 50kg, I'm very positive of this.

The lowveld region also is a good area and then Kwazulu Natal.

But then again, until an angler catches a 40kg plus carp in this stretch this is all just talk...

MadCarper

Sealiner
wel vir n begin, niemand behalwe die persone wie dit gedoen het sal kan se hoeveel nie... maar kom ons begin by klaserie, kwaggas, fanie botha en n paar damme in Jhb...

Superman

Ek weet van een moerse vis wat daar ingesit is nie so lank terug nie..... moerse beteken nie 50lbs, baie meer as dit....

renrew

glo dit of nie die vis wat wel geskuif was lank terug nog in martin davidson se jare kom net van 2 damme af en dis nie buffels,kwaggas,fanie botha of die bekende damme in jhb nie. Hennie se vis is obvious dit was van klaserie die enigste adner dam van waar hulle vis gevat eht was waar ernie else se golfbaan estate ding is nou endit was vir klein mirrors.

Die ou wat die rumours begin het oor dat top lake visse die hele land voel steel is weg gejaag en almal ken hom, baie kyk op na hom maar weet ook maar min. Ek gan nie name noem nie want dis n sensitiewe saak.

Superman na watse dam verwys jy en wat beteken jy met baie meer as 50lbs?

MadCarper

Sealiner
renrew, ek stem saam baie het gebeur in martin d se tyd, maar te veel bekende, respectable ouens wat toplake hengel/gehengel het, het ander stories om te vertel. Gaan ook nie name noem nie. so ek wens ek kon jou woord vat oor wat jy se, maar kom ons los dit daar.

My punt is nog steeds, mens kan n goeie syndicate aanmekaar sit met wat ons het in SA, wat oorsee se damme kan rival. ;)

kaboem

Sealiner
Superman

Dont take offence!!! Dis die tweede keur wat jy so tipe statement maak.... oor vis groter as 50 en 60lbs, back it up dude eveidence Guys are gonna start calling you pinnochio.....lol

MadCarper

Sealiner
kaboem, los die ou man... Jy behoort mos teen nou al te weet in SA kan mens nie details uitgee oor groot visse op forums nie, anders is die hele land se hengelaars daar hierdie naweek, lol!!!

By the way, ek weet van n 60lb'er in een van die Jhb damme (LOL!!))

Spinedok

I think we the first step to getting world records in SA is by getting the guys who practise the sport of big carp angling, to stop Arguing about everything. There are just too many experts, who will never agree with one another. Is big carp angling not suppose to be a sport where you become your own expert over time, and not by reading other peoples info and claiming you know it all? The only way we will get syndicates to work toghether, sharing breeding stock etc... is by working toghether..

my 5c worth...

kaboem

Sealiner
MC

Ek weet van baie 60lb vis in JHB damme... maar nog nooit self gesien nie.....lol

Soos ek gese het no harm intended please dont take offence jammer as ek iemand se gevoelens seer gemaak het ens ens.....

Ken Sarel nie goed nie so ek appologies solank net incase....lol