ROD JOINTS STUCK

Maestro

I had a 3pc stuck 4 2 years, i just tried nielg's method with the pieces of wood...worked like a charm! Thanks nielg, you r a star!

jaccil

Rub a bit of candle wax on the male joint before joining, this should prevent the pieces from getting stuck.

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
ANthony- PLEASE PIN this Somewhere  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4   EFFING    Days Of swearing cursing shouting complaining- and the first EYE   - and it came loose . and lemme tell you it was STUCK . I used it to walk along the beach back to the car - and tap for tap I was starting the beginnings of an expensive relationship .........

Da Biatchhhh.........

Attachments

• Image0468.jpg
    Image0468.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,072

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
.......And de Solution . !!!!!!!!

Go go Neil !!!

Jinne , FINALLY , FINALLY , it came Loose ..

we stood there in disbelief .Admin Please Pin This to Avoid any frustration !!!!!!! I always Lagged at the guys and thought" you Nit wit - serve you right for pushing it In so Deep ...." and then just walking with it in my hand - poof- the badluck fairy came to visit me ...

::S hell , I'm relieved. Easy as pie . 

There you go .

Neil's advice in living colour . I pray this only happens to someone i really really really Despise . eish ...

By the Way - I Notice it happening to a Lot More Loomis Owners than most others . I see my BM G3 does Not have the Same finish , and hence , the same problem , so I would strongly Advise  Most owners of Loomis rods - to bookmark this Post , or heed the advice !!! I tried cold water down the Male , hot Over  the Male . a voodoo doll .Tying it to the Neighbours bull mastiff.To My Rav . Nothing worked !!! ARRRRGHHHH !!!!! 

Lol .

Attachments

• Image0467.jpg
    Image0467.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,072

Mike Pike

Sealiner
To stop them getting stuck in the future, polish up the male part with scotch-brite. and before putting together again i rub my fingers thru hair and on face as the natural oils on skin and hair work as a fine lubricant, works for me .....no u not using my face and hair ... use yours... LOL

Enigma

Invest in a bit of surfboard wax (R10) and put a touch on the rod before setting the rod up.

Put the male section into the female of the joint with the guides 90 degrees off centre then twist it into position (lightly)

The sections won't fly out when casting so no need to jam them in.

Patrick

Sealiner
Neil bru, remind me to buy you a beer or 6 when i meet you at the bash! Your tip saved my trip. Just bought an 8ft Exage Surf for the Kei and got the blimmin tip stuck this afternoon. Luckily the missus isnt home coz there was some swearing i tell you. Your method is dynamite and its now unstuck without damage. Thanks a million for your post!

BigBass

Sealiner
Thanks, neilg - worked on a favourite old flipping stick that somehow got really badly stuck at the telescoping butt section and would not budge until I applied your method! ::tclaph

neilg

Sealiner
Only read this post again now

Glad to see it helped a few people

I will gladly accept beer, biltong and fishing tackle as a "reward"

Sharing IS caring

wp34

Sealiner
I am rebuilding 2 Assassins for a customer. One is a Heavy Competitor that was given to him when he got his Protea/Springbok colours. Tried hot water, gasflame, blocks of wood, swearing, cursing, etc NOTHING WORKS!!!

thika

Sealiner
So what about Neil's trick?

My dad taught me when I was 6 years old to rub on the sides of my nostrils for all the fatty stuff

But I don't like break-up sticks anyway

wp34

Sealiner
thika wrote:
So what about Neil's trick?

My dad taught me when I was 6 years old to rub on the sides of my nostrils for all the fatty stuff

But I don't like break-up sticks anyway

Didnt work either!! Customer now has 2x one piece Assassins!! LOL

Enigma

Brian. Some tips on this method

1. The blocks you use must be at least 25cm long to work properly as it allows the better spread of torque,if made to short to much pressure in to short an area and you can twist the rod blank off.

2. Some of the rods I have recently had to seperate have an almost matt and oily type of coating on that makes the blocks slip and not transfer the torque you apply, into the joint. To prevent this first wrap a length of twine onto the blank to make for better purchase.

3. If these donated rods are 2nd hand the jointsmight just be glued. Yes people do strange things and itnwont be a first.

4. If all else fails remove the bottom plug or end cap and the use a dowel of similar diameter to the male part of the joint and ta the sections apart.

Use a a slaver if the sizes differ to much as with to much a difference you could just end up splitting the blank if you apply to much force.

wp34

Sealiner
I have put a layer of binding thread over the joints and epoxied over them, making them 1 piece rods. Customer suggestion after we could break up the joints! He's happy, im happy! LOL

FRITZABU

Sealiner
Can confirm. This work perfectly, but I have replaced the blocks, with pieces of nice thick conveyor belt.

That can also not damage the blank, yet still work 100%

Enigma

Thanks for that tip. That will work even better as it has added grip and will form around the blank. Now to find a conveyory to cut up.

Nigel66

Packing ice around the joint for a while, and then using bicycle rubber innertube strips around each side to provide grip has worked well for me.

Hahah I want to laugh my head off !! Because I was just as stupid ... 2 years ago I had the same problem and only after some blood sweat and tears did i get them loose. This year I thought I would use a bit of grease on the ends thinking that would do the trick...... BUT it made the problem worse and I was fully stuck this time - it seems the grease causes a vacuum or something and it just would noy budge - hot / cold water nothing - leaving it in the sun for a day nothing - using my lighter nothing... only after having 3 buddies holding on and doing the twist thing it eventually came undone. I then used baby powder which seemed to do the trick.... but thanks for this tip I will remember...

Aydee

Thanks a lot! Now I can't wait to go and collect my brand new (now one-piece) I was forced to leave at my in-law's place because I couldn't get it separated.
Recently used the x-shaped heatshrink and I think I'll apply it asap.