New boat safety regs.

CLS

fishalitis wrote:
MOGGY wrote:
It is because of people who "klap in some foam" that the new training has happened.

If you think that SADSAA is behind the changes, then I would like some of the stuff you are smoking.

As a surveyor do you know how much abuse we take from individuals, when the laws change ?

I have totally stopped surveying boats and I know of a few ohers, who have also stopped, so sorry for you when you want a COF, go to SAMSA, with the same rules and pay your R 600 for a survey and another lot, if you fail and have to have it  re done.

I will isue my own COF or bribe an official at a launch site

I spoke to a senior government official recently about the corruption. He said if you dont like it and cant handle the pace of the corruption then leave.
What ever :blah:blah

dugongboy

Sealiner
fishalitis wrote:
MOGGY wrote:
It is because of people who "klap in some foam" that the new training has happened.

If you think that SADSAA is behind the changes, then I would like some of the stuff you are smoking.

As a surveyor do you know how much abuse we take from individuals, when the laws change ?

I have totally stopped surveying boats and I know of a few ohers, who have also stopped, so sorry for you when you want a COF, go to SAMSA, with the same rules and pay your R 600 for a survey and another lot, if you fail and have to have it  re done.

I spoke to a senior government official recently about the corruption. He said if you dont like it and cant handle the pace of the corruption then leave.
Hahhahahah! Don't forget to get youself some vaseline!! WAK!!!

MichaelK

Sealiner
fishalitis wrote:
MOGGY wrote:

Fishalitis, you have obviously been watching the SA vs Samoa rugby and must be very pissed mate. You talking absolute K@k

MOGGY

fishalitis wrote:
MOGGY wrote:

From what I have read, you don't have a boat and when you had one you did not know how to use it, because you are supposed to keep it with the flat side( deck ) up.

fishalitis

Moggy i went to sea with someone who had all the stuff but probably like you couldnt think logically. Phone me when you have been in 40 foot swells off the Great Australian Bight and then you may qualify to have a Whisky with me. I have a boat but im Afraid a duck is something you play with in your bath.

MOGGY

Please tell me where I was being illogical.

I suppose the NSRI use a duck, because it belongs in a bath.

What vessel were you on off Australia ?

MichaelK

Sealiner
Moggy don't entertain this guy, he is obviously only here to stir.

He does not own a boat and his ramblings are uneducated.

Arguing with him is like arguing with Julius Malema, you get no where:::S

fishalitis

Your assumptions were illogical in two counts:

1) from what i wrote you assumed i do not have a boat... buzzer sounds

2) You assumed i was the owner or skipper of the boat on which i was   

when it capsized. I was not but am better for it... buzzer sounds

You are the weakest link........

dugongboy

Sealiner
MichaelK wrote:
Moggy don't entertain this guy, he is obviously only here to stir as he does not own a boat.

Well said, fl you have contributed absolutely ZERO to this thread PLEASE just run along now. (go and start a Shimano vs Daiwa debate in the R&S section)

No more entertainment guys lets rather stick to the topic.

Ok...ok...
I have been hearing rumours that the old 5nm rating was going to done away with. Is this true, and if so, what happens to those boats currently with a 5mn Rating?

dugongboy

Sealiner
Who knows??? but I don't think so just yet, I also heard that they discussed doing away with bottles for buoyancy?? All talk for now?

MOGGY

As far as i know, the % mile rating for vessels remain, but there were some people spreading rumours that one can get a 5 mile skippers.

There is no such thing and there will not be one in the forseeable future.

Dingleberry

fishalitis wrote:
Getting tired of all the hearsay and B$llshit on this thread so i phoned Samsa myself. Simple answer is no real changes stick to marine notice no 13 as closely as possible and you will be fine. They were indeed surprised to hear of all the opinions on these forums. You will find some individuals have a way of rattling cages to further theirs and their mates financial gains out of the average boater.

And that good folk is what it is all about. Legislation for profit. In Australia, a single engined vessel has virtually no distance limitations or bullsh1t but must have an EPIRB.Licensing fees are properly allocated and managed and competant individuals man search and rescue facilities. Boating is fun! South Africa, however, is full of people trying to screw others. They get into organisations that make the rules, influence them and rape the consumer. After all these expenses there is buggerall room left on one's boat for tackle and a cooler box, never mind the money to perform important maintenance.

fishalitis

Hey Dingleberry be careful coz some of the chaps on this forum suffer from not being able to chillax and take a joke. They suffer from seriouslitis. The guys that make the laws actually dont have to obey them. Lets take our famous blue light presidential brigade and all the injuries that have resulted. They are now loking at reducing the max speed limit to 100km/h but 99% of the accidents are overloaded taxis driving with 78 occupants with a vice grip and buses where the roadworthy centres have passed unroadworthy buses fraudulently. So exactly how will reducing the speedlimit stop this sh$t.

Sounds like the new sea worthy centres that will soon be making their appearance. yES I HAVE INSIDE INFO SO PLEASE DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER

Dingleberry

Hi Fishilitis. Ja, people do have to relax more. However, it seems that any recent legislation / taxation in SA targets the middle class and up. Boating has become over regulated. Safety is one thing - good seamanship, a major part of that. To try and ram seamanship down the boaters' throats will never have the intended results. Practicality has to take precendance, if the objective is to actually improve safety. I just renewed my seaworthy in the sandpit and was forced to pay R14000 to have a transponder installed (supposedly a refundable deposit. Interestingly enough the inspectors weren't interested in checking my safety kit as the xponder has an integral panic button. I am not resentful of paying it because these blokes are fairly jacked when it comes to coast guard duties. Sure, these seas are far safer than SA's and one should have a more comprehensive safety system there, but to dump everything on the boatowner is bull. Where the hell does your 43% income tax, 14% VAT etc. etc. go?

MOGGY

It is difficult to relax when you are the provincial safety officer and everyone comes to you for advice.

I agree that there is too much BS for personal gain and that is exactly what I edeavour to fight against.

1. Bottles are no longer allowed as flotation = BS

2. 29mhz radios are out = BS

3. 5 mile skippers tickets = BS

Having said that, sitting and complaining that we are all being targeted, which is propably true and offering no constructive input, or solutions, solves nothing.

I am tired of trying to give honest feedback from the controlling authority and being shot down by the negative element, so that all from me, out.

TiKyLi

MOGGY wrote:
It is difficult to relax when you are the provincial safety officer and everyone comes to you for advice.

I agree that there is too much BS for personal gain and that is exactly what I edeavour to fight against.

1. Bottles are no longer allowed as flotation = BS

2. 29mhz radios are out = BS

3. 5 mile skippers tickets = BS

Having said that, sitting and complaining that we are all being targeted, which is propably true and offering no constructive input, or solutions, solves nothing.

I am tired of trying to give honest feedback from the controlling authority and being shot down by the negative element, so that all from me, out.

Moggy, for what it's worth, I have appreciated your comments. As a new boat owner I have gathered much needed info from you.

Keep it up!