BAZARUTO MARLIN SEASON 2010

Showtime

Hi Duarte ....

My name is Danny , i have been following your posts on the Bazaruto Marlin Season , and i must say it has been a great help to me ! We have Fished al over The Souther African Seaboard .... until we discovered Bazaruto , now we go no other place !!!! We stay on the mainland at Dugong Lodge and this was our third season .... we have flown the black flag each and every season . We only fish in Dec. for about 10 days every year ... but i can guarantee my crew a marlin every time .... not to bad !!! This season was much better than last year .... lots of yellowfin , dorado and wahoo ... we raised Marlin every day , but sluggish on the strike !!! We had a lot of strikes in shallow water , anything from 12 meters alot of "Rats"around , we also released a smal one of about 50 kg ....

Will keep on following your post , we will be competing in the Marlin Comp. in October cheers ....:wfish

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Yeah Fao,
Didi called the fish 440, it does look bigger to me as well, some shoulders on her.
I would have guessed around 550 maybe even a tad better - but again, photos can be so deceiving anyway!!!

Danny,
I am happy to hear you having good fishing at Bazaruto – this is a very special place with world class potential and in my books only surpassed by the GRB and maybe Panama as far as Giant Black’s are concerned.

What is your boats name - might have seen you in the water. Let me know when you up here next, always great to have someone to talk to on the VHF.

Yeah, there were a lot of small rats around in mid to late December, but a couple of big fish were mixed in there.

When you say Dugong lodge do you mean in San Sebastian? If so that would be interesting as you would probably fish the canyon and S. Sebastian area a lot. Quiet a run for me but have tried to fish there as much as possible last couple of seasons and find it a most interesting area, certainly most dramatic bottom on the archipelago. Got some good fish there last two years including a 800+ last October. If so let me know your toughts on the area and where you finding most fish???

I gather you mean the CADSSAS comp out of Inhassoro???

Post us some of your pics…

Attachments

• IMG_8384.JPG
    IMG_8384.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 307

Showtime

Hi Duarte .... glad you replyed

No , we fish from Dugong lodge Inhassoro , think you know the owners Pieter and Gorden . Pieter bought a new 28 ft Tritan with 2 x 300 Verados ... called Skuzapo a lovely boat !!! They used Charls from "marlin"to show them the tricks. 

My boat "Showtime" is a 22ft novas sportfisher . We fish the normal spots like Light Hous Reef , 3 trees , 25 mile and north pinnicals . I like the north pinnical area , its just a long run !! With my current engin setup "150 Hp Mercury Efi" you can imagin what my fuel bill amounts to ... will be going  for new Optimax this year .

We only use  atrificials and found all our Moldcraft  lures to be very affective !Big Pulsator Bonito Smoker close to the boat on flat lines also got allot of attention . what speed do you troll for marlin ? I know each boat has its sweatspot wen the lures just work at there best , my boat likes 8-9 knots , but then i wont go very far .  

We love Bazaruto , and yes will be fishing the CADSAS in October from Dugong . hope we will meet you !!!!

We will then be back in Dec.  for 21 days .  

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
OK Danny, I tough so, that you were running from inhassoro.

What do you mean by north pinnacles? Is that north of 25 mile??? Way to far for me and I am fishing more and more to the south area´s…less sharks as well!!! But, would be really interested in hearing about the area and your experience there. I talk to a couple of SA guys that are based in Vilankulos and work commercial deck boats out there. They mostly fish way north of lighthouse, way pass 25 mile reef and do have some interesting Marlin stories.

Interesting that you run a lure on flat lines from a 22 ft boat, I would have thought that it went stale, but I see you troll a tad faster than I do.

When I first started here I mostly used skip/swim and live baits. At the time I fished in various Blue Marlin areas with lures during our winter and when first started pulling lures here a few good years ago (which by the way I was scoffed & laughed at & told by everyone that you could not catch Black’s with plastic) I did the same I was doing for Blue Marlin, including trolling at +-9 knots.
The first couple of years of trial here were not that successful and I believe one of the most important things I learned and changed was slow my trolling speed. I started to raise more fish but mostly important my hook-up ratio improved ten-fold. Obviously I had to change quiet a few things to do so, primarily angle (height) of entry in the water and distance. 

Nowadays when fishing here or anywhere else for Black’s I troll mostly around 7 knots. When it’s rough I might even slow down to about 6.5 and when it’s really flat I will go up to 8 knots. That is obviously speed side on to the current.

I hear you about the fuel. I was running 2 stroke 150 h.p yamaha´s until last year …have changed to E-Tecs this year and fuel as literally gone down by 40%!!!

It’s great to hear someone who real appreciates this magical place…we are so fortunate to fish in such a unique & special world class fisheries with still so little pressure and boats. We just got to look after it…love it too men, this is home for me!!!

Hope to meet next year.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8388.JPG
    IMG_8388.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 285

Showtime

Hi ... Me Again

Intresting story of how we discovered North Pinnicals .... We would ask local skippers about best places to fish and they would reply "Light house , or 25 mile will see you out there tomorrow " well look for them the whole day .... nothing !!! They would then beach with loads of fish .... ???:swear

Using the Chartplotter i zoomed out of our normal fishing location and realized that the 50 m contour line , running next to 25 mile reef  joins up with the 200 m contour line way north of 25 mile .... and showing pinnicals . So of we went , and what would we find there ? 4 other boats and some of our local skippers !!!:fishn

Well we made one pass .... strike on the "hong-kong" fish missed .  2 min. later we catch 2  Wahoo and a  Dorado . On our second pass a smalish Black smackes the "long left" runs for 20 seconds ...off:uzi as everything settles on the boat ... a masive Black hits the downrigger at top speed clearing the water and showing of her masive size and girth ...not 3 meters behid the boat .... now as luck would have it , it was rigged for "big couta"with a half- beack on a 30 lbs Tiagra .... she spooled that reel in under 30 seconds ...awesome display of the power these fish posses !!!! One of the most  Memorable days in my life.....

That was a years ago ... we made one trip to the pinnicals this year ... as we passed over the dropoff we saw small skipjacks being chased by Yellowfin  as luck would have it " into our spred " .... we came away with 4 nice 18 kg tunas , then the weather had other plans for us .....

I like that spot ..... when u know the water colour , temp , everything is just wright ...

Tell me  .. is there something wrong with my temp. sender every year  i get readings as high as 32 degrees water temp .... then next day they drop as low as 26 degrees ???

Yes Duarte .... hope we kan keep it the way it is now ^^.. !!!!!

ps. with the road from South Africa fixed now .... it's not going to take the                  " brigade " very long to discover this piece of heaven .... if i can tow a  3.5  ton ski- boat  1200 km  to Bazaruto , alot will be following soon .... 

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Danny,

Nice local skippers you got there at Inhassoro, all thriving to help and share information ::jest

That’s quiet interesting, how many miles do you run from Inhassoro to get to that area & how much further north is it from the south end of 25 mile? and at what depth do you mostly fish there?

Have you jigged there at all???

You know I always say that there is much more to Bazaruto than the traditional fishing grounds that we normally fish. Difficult with our boats to do overnight´s and so on but there is a whole world to discover out there.

A few good years ago I went out for one night to try for Broadbill and not knowing what to do and where to go I still had 2 ID fish on that night. Problem is my boat is just to small to do overnight charters with guests.
hen there is the Blue Marlin fishing. I have a couple of coordinates given to me by a SA guy that used to longline here in the late 80`s and he told me he used to be harassed by Blues like there was no tomorrow. Those marks are way offshore but both times I have been there we have had success and the late Bou Rath caught some pretty impressive blues up to 800 and odd pounds (and lost a estimated grander) and some very beefy YFT in the same area.

The last three years I have been exploring the southern area a bit and that whole place is just a mind-boggling bottom structure galore. I find pinnacles, reef´s and some pretty impressive drop off’s every time I run there – which unfortunately is not as regular as I would like to.

Hopefully in a few years I will have a boat where I can just stay out there and explore all this possibilities…;)

There probably is something wrong with your temp sensor. I find most sounders are not accurate. When at the Baz comp I go around and ask everyone what their temperature readings were and never is there a consensus. I know for a fact that my sounder reads 1.2c higher. What I do every time I have a new sounder is go out there and take a diving computer – then I measure the real surface temperature and the calibrate my sounder.

The only time you will get temperatures in the 30c is in February and when it happens you don´t want to be here….trust me, been there, done that!!! It´s a desert out there…

I hear you on the boats, which will be following soon.

I know it will eventually happen, well, it is happening already. There is already a whole lot more traffic that there was a few years ago. And unfortunately I have seen some pretty horrendous atrocities from some of these new boys in the wood. I just hope that Dark Age mentality changes in the near future.

It’s inevitable that the place is going to grow, all I wish and ask for is that those who are here and those who are coming do respect the place for what it is and fish it accordingly…

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0780 copy.JPG
    DSC_0780 copy.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 257

Showtime

HI Duatre ...

I can not ask you how u've been ..... you stay on Bazaruto !!!!!:shark

Found the co-ordinates for North Pinnicals ..... S 21 11.950  E 35 34.213 ..... From Inhassoro we run about 30 Naut. Miles to the Pinnicals  , from 25 mile south its about 12 Naut.  Miles due North ....

We have not Jigged there , its not our game "we are the lazy bunch , who only troll" The water depth stars from 50 meters to about 18 on the Pinnacle ......

I hear what you say about the Blue Marlin ... i knew Bou Raath well ... he designed my boat  .... He took a Reef Runner , made the pontoons wider , gunnel's higher , filled her with foam  .... and made a small  22 ft boat perfect for Marlin ... one  of the best hulls around . He brought the whole idea and concept of Sport fishers to the ski-boat market ....!!!!!!

I will post some picks as soon as i sort out this diesel generated computer i own .... it runs out of coal as soon as i start to upload "anything" .....:rasta

I have noticed in some of your  "picks"  .... if i look at the position of the light - house and your close proximity to the shore , it seems like you also catch in the lee - side of the Island ... if so , have  you found allot of Marlin in those areas ... ???

Tanx for the info on the temp sender  ... thought it was acting stupid .

Please  bear with me  Duarte i have many More things to ask you ..... hope i'm not making a nuisance of my self  ......

Cheers 

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Hey Danny,

Yeah all good, but last day on the Island…another great season done!!! More to come from September 2011 :SSS

Thanks for those coordinates, will have a look at the chart and will give it a go next year for sure…

I hear on the jigging hard work, but then again I do not have that problem, I only drive the boat…:spite

You say the pinnacle comes to from 50 to 18 meters…and how far until it drops to 100 meters +???

Yup, have test ride the 27 but never fished on the Nova 22, beautiful boat tough, great finishing and no nonsense, built with one thing in mind and that is Marlin Fishing.

Let me know what particular pics you referring to and will let you know where. Do not really target Marlin on the lee, although I have caught same small Black´s by mistake. I mean we have even caught a Marlin trolling off the hobie cat right in front of the resort. Last week we also released a nice sailfish 5 minutes from the resort next to Zanguelema point.

Fire away with any questions mate, no worries at all. Looking forward to meeting you later in the year over a 2M :beer

Put a turbo on that computer of yours and post us some pics when you can…
cheers

DantheMan

Hi, awesome posts! Do you (or anyone) have any gps co-ordinates for V mile and IV mile reefs?

I have been to II mile and I take it that V mile is 3 more miles out to sea but would be great to have some data for my boat.

Any help much appreciated.

Dan

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Dan, please send me a  mail to
dudas7mares@gmail.com

V, Vi and IV mile are actually north of II mile and not out to sea, they are sort of measured has distance from Benguerra´s north point.

Cheers

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
As most of you probably know the billfish bite as been absolutely phenomenal in southern Mozambique  - even this late & still going.

Although we have caught Marlin in every calendar month at Bazaruto and even tough May normally represents one of the best sailfish months, it´s the number of Blacks being released and most importantly the size that is just completely unreal.

From last October, down at Maputo / Inhaca this as been, by far, the best season the area as ever experienced.  Numbers kept coming steadily into February. Then, there was a slower period when rains and a lack of strong southerly’s moved green water to the grounds. Everyone thought this was the end of it, but last month as just produced unbelievable fishing, including the biggest Black ever caught in the area about two weeks ago.
The fish was caught on an YFT live bait out of Sta. Maria and after being cut in numerous pieces (scale was not big enough) it weighted just under 700 pounds. The previous record was also caught this season back in December and weighted 558 lbs.

Also got word from Inhambane & both Sean at tofo and Etienne at Silverfish lodge have seen their share of billfish. Here’s a photo sent by Etienne of a Black they released last month…

Attachments

• k.w. marlin released 28 apr 2011 800x600.jpg
    k.w. marlin released 28 apr 2011 800x600.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 113

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Our best fish at Indigo – Bazaruto last month was a monster Black estimated at 850 lbs and caught on a #80. The fish took a small pro range Legend lures Basilik in 180 meters of water out of sailfish Bay.

Alberto, one of my deckhands was on the wheel and he had gone out wide where he found some some good YFT in the 20 kilo range  - until the fish hit and they had a lot on their hands for almost 3 hours…

Along with unseasonal high water temperatures (still at 26c) for the time, the large amount of Yellowfin from all sizes must be one of the major reasons why the big Black girls are so reluctant to leave.

Attachments

• DSC01590.jpg
    DSC01590.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 111

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Then, in early May, Alex my first deckhand who mostly runs the boat when I am away phone me saying he released a fish he reckons was around 1000 lbs…in freaking May!!!

They had been going out for a few days fishing light tackle and releasing some sailfish and YFT around the 20-25 kilo mark. During these outings they caught a couple small Black´s as well but lost some bigger one’s that were unashamedly taking the small sailfish belly shine offerings.

He decided to take the big guns out and hit a jackpot mid morning out of III trees area. The fight lasted just over 3h30…

They never got any decent photos of it, although the charter did get some video footage I am waiting for. Always difficult to judge a fish on photographs, but from this one it’s pretty clear that if the fish did not make the mark, it was not very far off…

Attachments

• Ma 1.jpg
    Ma 1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 110

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
The fish was caught on a Williamson Big Blue Cavitator BMC2 I had re-skirted and given to Alex when I left at what was supposed to be the end of the season.

That lure has certainly caught it’s share of big fish in Moz, SA and the African eastern coast…

Unfortunately it was lost to a wahoo cut a few days ago.....

Attachments

• lure BMC3.jpg
    lure BMC3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 109

Marlinmoz

Sealiner
Cheers Greg,

With this excellent late run of fish we trying to get as much fishing as possible...but even then not spending as many days out there as I would like to.

yesterday we managed to get out @ were greeted by a light ENE breeze from the ENE at sunrise...

We had an hour run to Poco area / Inhaca!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8610.JPG
    IMG_8610.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 86