Wind knots

BigBen

Sealiner
After seeing the pics ur reel lod is fine.

You might wana look at your casting action.Could be you are snap loading your rod when you cast. I found with jigging that line knots form when you snap load and the sinker/lure is not pulling line off evenly(gradualy) in the 1st few meters of the cast.

I use a slightly longer drop with the lure to load the rod and seldom get the wind knots now.
 

IWyk

Sealiner
Could be memory in the line that is part of the problem. I am not familiar with the line you are using. If you peel off a fair amount of line and let it hang slack and there are loops in it(like a spring) too much line twist or memory. Use a good quality swivel and a low memory line ie. Awa-Shima. PM Enigma he may well be able to sort this one for you.

He showed me some lines he has that are amazingly low memory.
 

Enigma

Moderator
1. For bank angling those spools are currently under filled.

2. When you say wind knots...... is it bunches of line that are pulled of the reel or is it the line wrapping on the guide and breaking off?

If the latter then it most definitely has to do with a whip in the casting action which causes the line to wrap around the guides.

Below is a picture of an actual windknot
 

Glitter

New member
Hi All
I went fishing over the weekend again
wetted the spools ......
Walked out the line to about 200m and the reel it in again applying pressure with thumb and index finger

Enigma the problem is that it makes a knot 1 - 1.5m after the leader line going through the last eye...
 

Enigma

Moderator
Is it a horrible knot in the line that looks like this?

This is a windknot
 

Attachments

  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 117
Sounds just like the wind knots I get with braid.. Recently went back to the FG knot and voila windknots returned, with properly filled (under) penn spinner, which previously underfilling sorted these, two shimano's (10000 and 5000)that I never had windknots with on other terminal setups and a finnor spinner that never gave a windknot but was always on a different terminal setup.

Then I changed back to the FG, with a long leader a turn or two on the reel. After a session of wind knots on each and someone more experienced explaining how the loop is formed and shortening my leader somewhat so the leader knot was just below or above the first eye the problem completely went away. Night and day. I spun yesterday for the entire afternoon, cast after cast belting it as hard as I could and not one windknot or break-off.

You rather want enigma's opinion ;) but you will probably have to explore more terminal/leader setups until you find which works for you and probably have to try different lines, your mainline is obviously much thinner (even if mono) or much more limp than your leader which is causing them to cause the loop below the first eye as they travel through at different speeds/loop sizes ( initially the mainline must be getting pulled off at a faster rate than the leader travels through the eye, as the leader exits the tip eye there is nothing holding back the flow of mainline and the loop that formed squeezes shut sometimes knotting itself. This is most likely where the knot is getting tied and then breaks off as it catches usually the tip eye. Or not at all, but irrespective, try different terminal/ leader setups and mainline on a field somewhere see what works.

Hope you come right mate, fiddle, try different things and it will.
 

tadeo

Sealiner
Just to add my 2c again.
I can’t see this being a line or spooling capacity problem. Many people have the same line and or reel and the present capacity on your reel
I would rather look at the way you are casting + the way you have reeled your line in prior to casting and the weight. If the line that you reeled in is seated loosely ,added to the way you are casting you are going to pick up problems. If the loop (floppy or loose ) coming off your reel is too large for the first eye it is going through and the weight you have cast ..or resistance going through the air is too much for the line coming off it may cause problems.
Try some variables. Cast with and against the wind if you can …cast lighter or harder …more or less weight and build from there.
Cheers – hope you come right
 

Enigma

Moderator
Please take a picture of your leader knot as it sounds as if your leader knot is catching your main line and pulling loops of line off the reel, resulting in the wind knot.

Generally this only happens on a monofilament filled reel when the line is on to loose or the spool to full.
 

PI

Senior Member
Those reels are definitely not full enough. i agree with Enigma here.The line lay on the reel is also not great, but I have fished those reels for years now. I found that a leader knot that wasn't cut close to the knot caused my problems.
 

BigLes

New member
It could be a few things, I recon its probably the knot joining the leader to main line, but this also tells us the main line is coming off too early/prematurely.

Do me a favour, lets sort your lines memory to ensure its not that.

What I would do, on a hot day, tie your line to a pole or tree in your street, walk out 200m of line, tighten your drag and line, let it stretch for 5 mins and pull on it. The warmth from the sun will relax the memory. After a few mins of straight pressure, reel it back onto your reel as you walk back to where you tied it. Reel ir as tight as possible. Then leave it for a day or two.

This should help prevent it from spooling to early.
Test it after this, if that didn't help then its your knot that's getting caught up or your leader that's the prob.

I have seen this a lot with thicker mono.

I had the velocities with longbows and the velocities eyes are supposed to prevent wind knots, but that rod might be a bit too stiff for casting 5lb line.
 

Enigma

Moderator
Velocity is designed for fishing with 5-10lbs line allowing for long range casting with a leader.....

Picture of the leader knot?
 

Enigma

Moderator
Thats a very chunky leader knot and is certain to pull underlying line with it.

Was.the leader wound on by hand or is that how the reel winds it up. Not a very good line lay in the pic.

Confirm that, that is 0.17mm mainline?

Although it would appear that the leader knot and line lay are not optimal I am still inclined to believe that with that level of filling etc that the cause of your windknots has something to do with your actual casting stroke rather than the reel, lines and rod combo
 

andriesyssel

Senior Member
I am no expert but the line looks very uneven, look at the humps, I think the leader is pulling the line of when hitting the hump.
 
Top