Went to Simonstown to drag a spinner for yellowtail yesterday.Launched at station , went as far as wreck and back , no life. Gulls were interested in something near boats in harbour entrance , went to take a look, big bouys bobbing , thought it was probably a seal playing with its catch
Turned out to be a whale , southern right I think
Was on a collision course , heading straight for each other, could not turn fast enough , nor could whale .I fell out next to it, whale dived quickly . Lucky not to get knocked out by its fins as it dived . All happened very quickly. Not sure who got a bigger fright.Not a big whale fortunately. It then surfaced very close to my wife's kayak, she paddled away like hell. Did not see it again after that. Dive boat guys helped me back onto kayak All turned out okay in end .
Turned out to be a whale , southern right I think
Was on a collision course , heading straight for each other, could not turn fast enough , nor could whale .I fell out next to it, whale dived quickly . Lucky not to get knocked out by its fins as it dived . All happened very quickly. Not sure who got a bigger fright.Not a big whale fortunately. It then surfaced very close to my wife's kayak, she paddled away like hell. Did not see it again after that. Dive boat guys helped me back onto kayak All turned out okay in end .