Caught this beast of a gar in Isle St Marie, Madagascar, best scrap I have ever seen from a gar. He was bright blue and even revved me on my heavier graph-cast 1; pity I took such a terrible photo, check out his power tail.
My best lure for Gar’s is hands down a Hopkins Shorty (best spoon ever made for light tackle next to the slim) ¼, ½, and 1oz spoon with a single 1/0 or 2/0 stainless hook dressed with some white buck tail, retrieved with a fair amount of speed so that it skips on top of the water every now and then.
Gars also love pink squids on a drop shot here in Madagascar.
In Mahajunga in the North of Madagascar I have seen a type of flying Gar, its pectoral fins are similar to a flying fish, but not as large and they really look comical when they come out of the water…. more like an articulated truck with tiny wings.