Torium 30 spool shaft replacement?

ajb902

New member
I've been reading the forum for a while and got plenty of good tips from the numerous posts but now find myself with a problem I can't seem to find a solution too and wonder if there is any advice out there?

I've been using a Torium 30 to catch Bronzies with and the other day it started making a horrible noise. Opened it up to find the spindle shaft through the spool had snapped just above the bearing retainer pin on the right hand side of the reel. Namely where the pinion gear sits.

I have upgraded to crabontex washers and can only believe this is due to high drag forcing the shaft the pinion gear away from the main driving gear under high drags. Been fishing with 0.55 mainline with around ten kgs of drag.

It looks like I have to buy the whole new spool assembly, is this the case or is there a way of removing the spindle shaft and getting a new one?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alistair
 

Attachments

  • 20150501_202829[1].jpg
    20150501_202829[1].jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 151

Enigma

Moderator
That's a bummer of a break.

There's no way that your drag and fishing pressured could have broken that (my opinion)

This looks pretty much like a material defect of sorts.

The spool shafts are not sold separately and I doubt that you would get the original shaft pressed out.

I would first try contacting the Rapala VMC reel workshop about a possible replacement or order a new spool

Talk to Justin or Johan at Rapala VMC Workshop 0117946950
 

ajb902

New member
Thanks for the input, I must admit I was mighty surprised and a thorough search on google didn't provide any further insight or similar cases.

The reel is only 6 months old so I will get in touch with Rapala VMC and see where to go.

Thanks,

Alistair
 

old salt

Sealiner
Good morning, the breakage you have is due to a deffective part these reels just dont break spoolshafts. I have done more toriums than i care to count and zero issues like this ever. One can remove that and machine a new spindle but it is a lot of work, but it can be done. The more cost effective solution is to contact shimano, return the spool to them and get them to replace it, provided no one has tinckered on it and done anything to weaken it. These reels land fish that would certainly break other reels so this is not a problem on them but most likely a deffective part. Let us know what shimano says. We will see how good the new model is compared to the current workhorse.
 

old salt

Sealiner
Good morning, the breakage you have is due to a deffective part these reels just dont break spoolshafts. I have done more toriums than i care to count and zero issues like this ever. One can remove that and machine a new spindle but it is a lot of work, but it can be done. The more cost effective solution is to contact shimano, return the spool to them and get them to replace it, provided no one has tinckered on it and done anything to weaken it. These reels land fish that would certainly break other reels so this is not a problem on them but most likely a deffective part. Let us know what shimano says. We will see how good the new model is compared to the current workhorse.
 
Top