Sub R800 spinning reel

Hemps

New member
Hi

 

I'm looking for a coffeegrinder type reel to fit a 13ft rod (not heavy)- will mainly be used to throw plugs and spoons from the rocks at Mazeppa Bay.

needs to have high gear ratio and most importantly be below R800

 

The Shimano SRG4000F

 

5.8:1 gear ratio

 

Anyone know how much these go for or can recommend something else?
 

Longname

Senior Member
Hemps, I just went through the whole exercise to get the right equipment.

What you want is probably a long-casting reel. You'll see that it is a very shallow spool deep action (forward and back on the spool), often with a tapered spool. It made a HUGE difference on my casting distance. The following are all long-casting reels:

Daiwa Saltiga Surf - R4k
Daiwa Emcast sport - under R1000

Shimano has a couple of models, but all expensive
 

Longname

Senior Member
I bought two reels (R790-00 each on special). One for spinning, and one for bait-casting. The one on the right, is what I'm using now for spinning and bait-casting, with either my Exage 12 foot, or 11.6 foot Poseidon HMG Ultra Light Spinning rod. I'll stick to this setup for spinning.... for now, until I can afford to buy the Saltiga Surf.

The one on the left has not been used and still in box with spare spool and guarantee slip. It is for sale, as I've decided to invest in a Trinidad DC (which beginners like me can actually cast without overwinds...) for bait-casting.

Gear ratio 4.6:1

PM me if you are interested at R500 plus postage.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6099.jpg
    IMG_6099.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 154
Top