Strike rate down using longer rod

chrisv

New member
I'm fairly new to carp angling (6 months) and in order to go deeper with fuller dams this winter have tried a 13ft rod (as opposed to my 10ft normal length) but now my strike ratio has recuced significantly. Despite serious runs I have been unable to hook-up the fish. I'm using a Shimano Aerlex 8000 with the 13ft. Normally pair up the 10fts with 4000 size reels.

What am I doing wrong? "Striking" too hard? Pleas help.

Chris
 

Aqua Dude

New member
Hi Chris.

Can you maybe provide us with a bit more detail like your trace setup? Size and type hooks, what type of trace you are using, length of your hook links etc.

Maybe even post a pic of the trace. Could be a matter of striking to hard / soft, too much slack or memory in your line when casting longer distance or any minor adjustment that needs to be made.

Looking forward to helping but please bare in mind ...... I'm not a pro or know it all. I fish by what I've been tought as well as trial and error. Simplest way to learn. :ifishin 
 

Enigma

Moderator
It's not the longer rod it's the longer cast that has an effect.

If you had a good hookup rate on the 10' and now fishing longer range with the 13' it would indicate that your hook setting is the problem as the trace is successful at shorter range.

Remember that nylon stretches (elongates) 15-22% so that has to be countered to set the hook.

If the fish drops the bite indicator into the water then pick the rod up, swing it to the side (away from the stand) reel fast to make contact with the fish, you will feel the rod loading up and the tip bending, by now the tip of the hook is in and all you need is to make a short swift strike that will pull the barb into position.

Same if the fish is running and you are missing them. Set the drag tighter so that he must almost move the rod in the stand to get the reel running, now the hook tip is in and same as before carry out a short swift strike to the side (while you have contact with the fish - road must be loaded (slightly bent)

If you just strike without taking up the elongation you are striking into the stretch and not setting the hook and this will have more of an effect when fishing at a long rande than at short range.

To get your head around it, walk of 25m of line and hold the sinker in your hand and get a mate to strike, you will feel it

The walk off 100m and get him to strike, you will see him striking but nit feel it.

Then carry on walking let him hold the rod to make contact as you walk out the stretch and load the rod and if he then strikes, short and sharp you will feel it.
 

chrisv

New member
Enigma

Great advice. Makes perfect sense. Interestingly enough fishing in mostly still water with almost no obstructions I don't often use a nylon leader on my 4000 reels but connect the clip directly to the braid. I however use a long nylon leader connected to the braid on my 8000 reel and the stretch of the line would impact handling. Thanks again, can't wait to go try this.

Chris
 

chrisv

New member
Thanks Aqua Dude. Agree with the learning by trial and error but having numerous magnificent runs and failing to set the hook nearly had me in tears a couple of times. My PB is a 6.85kg carp and I have been trying to better that for four months now.
 
Top