Rod guides and line

atish.rowjee

Senior Member
Hi guys,

This past weekend I have had a lot of trouble with my rod (or maybe reel/line). When casting out the line, the line seems to get wrapped around the 1st guide of the rod. Can anyone please give me some advice as to why this is happening? What is the cause of this? How can I stop this from happening in future?

My set up: Shimano Vengeance 12ft rod and Shimano DL10000 reel spooled with mono.

Thanks guys.
 

atish.rowjee

Senior Member
Thanks Naruto. This video explains it well. It was really windy this past weekend at the dam which explains a lot.

These new guide, where can one buy them in Jhb? My local tackle store doesn't stock them.

Thanks.
 

Enigma

Moderator
Those guides cost more than a Vengeance rod does.

1. The Vengeance is a soft rod with a few of these problems and has been discontinued.

2. I can almost bet you that it happened more and more when you tried to cast really hard.

What happens is that the rod bounces if there is a snap or jerk in the last 30% of the cast. If you watch it in slow motion you'll see that the rod blank forms an S pushing the guide down and therefor causing the line to hit the foot of the guide and accordingly wrap around the foot.

The best to eliminate this is to ease the style of your cast and make sure you follow through evenly.

Frankly putting K series guides on a Vengeance is not doing the guides justice. A set of concept low-riders (generic not Fuji) will however largely alleviate the problem but first play around with casting technique rather than changing the rod

Fitting a set of Generic Low-Riders will cost R300
 

atish.rowjee

Senior Member
Thanks guys.

@Enigma, You are correct. As I cast harder, thinking it will not tangle, it tangled more. I will definitely try ease the style of my cast as you suggested before I decide if I want to put on the Generic Low-Riders.

I will be off to the dam this weekend and test out your suggestions. I will give feedback and maybe have a few more questions if things don't work out.

Thank you again.
 

atish.rowjee

Senior Member
Hi guys,

So I was at the Vaal river this past weekend targeting carp, however only caught babel (owner said that the carp are still spawning).

Anyway, Saturday night was howling with wind, so I decide to practice my casting (instead of fishing) and test the line tangle over the first rod guide. Using just an M1.5 mushroom sinker is took to the water, easing my style of cast as suggested by Enigma. Wow, I was amazed. The rod played its part and I got some really good casts. However, as I pushed the rod more and more it began to tangle in the wind. Sunday morning was clear with a slight breeze but I did not pick up any tangles as much as I pushed the rod. Overall, bad/howling winds do cause tangles with the original Shimano Vengeance rod guides.

I guess that at some point in time I will change the rod guide on my rods to the rod guides Enigma has suggested but for now I am happy that I have found the cause of my tangles.

I appreciate all your help and advice. Thanks.
 
Top