Rod casting weights advice

Streak

New member
Hi,
I have a Shimano Speedmaster rated up to 1oz paired with my Sustain 4000 and 10lb braid.

For my upcoming trip to the Transkei I want to be able to cast further with bigger plastics in the 5 to 7" range coupled with jigheads in the 1oz and 2oz range. As well as some spoons and plugs.

A 5 or 7" minnow on a 1oz jighead will probably overload my Speedmaster to the point that casting would be difficult.

I am planning to buy another rod to take with as well which I will also couple to my Sustain but using the spare spool with 20lb braid.

For the 1oz and 2oz jigheads with large plastics, do I look at a rod with a 1 to 2oz casting weight or one with a 2 to 3oz casting weight?

The Shimano Aerocast 24XH comes to mind rated at 60-120g (2oz to 3oz) but will it be too heavy to cast the 1oz jigs + large minnow?

What other ods should I consider?

Thanks.
 
Top