Rietvlei

MadCarper

Sealiner
What are the reasons for so much line being left behind in the first place? Its not just about cleaning up its about a mindset change by anglers in general. That "catching carp at any cost" mentality. Allthough having someone clean up the mess every now and then is good, it will also create the idea that "its ok for me to break off my lines because someone else will remove it..." ?

Personally if I dont feel confident that I can get the fish out in a situation if I hook one then I simply dont take that risk.
 

JohannM

Senior Member
MadCarper wrote:
What are the reasons for so much line being left behind in the first place? Its not just about cleaning up its about a mindset change by anglers in general. That "catching carp at any cost" mentality. Allthough having someone clean up the mess every now and then is good, it will also create the idea that "its ok for me to break off my lines because someone else will remove it..." ?

Personally if I dont feel confident that I can get the fish out in a situation if I hook one then I simply dont take that risk.

Anglers get snagged on old line and have no choice to break off.

That is the reason I have never and will never fish that dam because at some point you will contribute to the problem.
 

Lance R

New member
Yip, always make sure you drop your lead on every take. The faster the fish comes to the surface the less chance you have getting snagged. I have been fortunate using this tactic.

So far the winter has been good for me. My average size has been bigger than it has been for a long time at the Vlei. Not an easy venue but there are some treasures lurking amongst those snags!
 
Top